Global phone? http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/19/droid-incredible-4g-receives-benc

goffredo

Reaction score
Is the HTC Droid Incredible 4G going to be a global phone, in that it takes a GSM card, like its predecessor, the HTC Droid Incredible 2? Nobody has breathed a word of this in any reviews or hands-on videos I have seen to date. There is some verbiage here:

We are wondering now if Verizon is simply trying to keep the cost down on this device and then potentially make it their first official “global ready” 4G phone.

Would be good to know for sure -- I'm not buying a phone that doesn't take a SIM card.

And if it does take a SIM card, does it take unlocked SIM cards per Verizon's exiting policy? (One free phone SIM-unlock per year, provided you're a customer in good standing)

mattlombard

Reaction score
The stats for the s 4 chip indicate that the chip is global capable. Weather the capabilities have been implemented or not maybe a different issue. There are still several details about this phone that we don't have answers for, such as the global issue weather there will be an sd card shipped with the phone if there will be in fm receiver in the phone the software that comes with it and also lingering questions about the differences between the 1 series cameras and this camera.

OP
G

goffredo

Reaction score
The stats for the s 4 chip indicate that the chip is global capable

Yeah, I've seen indications that global is a possibility based on the hardware, but as we all know, whether that feature of the hardware gets implemented into the final phone is anybody's guess. I was hoping maybe I just hadn't scoured the Internet closely enough, and somebody might point me to an article or review that indicated for certain that it supports global. But as it turns out, its capability to take a GSM card has very conspicuously been omitted from the hands-on and written reviews I've seen thus far.

I can't believe that nobody with access to the device hasn't asked the burning question, "So is this a global phone like its predecessor?" I realize people lavish over the screen and the CPU, and not everybody cares about global, but this seems like it would be the third question out of my mouth if I were a rogue reporter and was handed a press demo unit. Or hell, pop the battery case off and see if there's a GSM card sitting there.

But anyway, yeah, you're right, looks we just have to wait it out. My DINC2 is still holding up quite well, so I'm in no hurry. I just would like to know if I need to start obsessing about this as my next phone, or not!