General review, complaints, and info

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by meepstone, Mar 17, 2011.

1. tbolt1125

tbolt1125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not native but if u really want to video chat you can download yahoo messenger and the plug in from the market and it will let you video chat you just have to make a yahoo messenger name

2. Fuchueson

Fuchueson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 4
    Twitter:
    mc_morris
    Download tango

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. tbolt1125

tbolt1125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    internet question

When I press the home button does my internet connection already close? I'm new to this and knew when I had my blackberry I had to select close but I cant find a close button on here

4. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Found a 4G toggle widget that works

I've been using this for awhile its called switch pro widget, but if you add the data connection(it will say 3G) to the widget an uncheck it, it will turn 4G Off. Now I know its not a switch to go back an forth between 3G an 4G but at least its a quick switch until they release an update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

#400 tu3218, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  5. rage151

rage151 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Shus. Do not necessarily think it was a fail, but close.

Personally, I would wait for the Bionic or Targa.

I got the TB on launch day and was impressed, but it quickly wore off. Returned it this afternoon and reactivated my old D1. Here's why:

Signal - No 4g in my area yet, but 3g became a little spotty. I even saw 1x in Lowe's, which never happened with my D1. Moto makes the best radio, period.

Call Quality - It is hard to describe how they sounded. It's like there wasn't enough bass in their voice. Callers even said it was hard to understand me.
    Related to the RF issue, both parties voice broke up...while being stationary in my living room.
    Also, background noise is bad. The TB doesn't cancel it out good at all. (Moto excels here)

Screen - I thought with it being a new phone, the screen would be amazing. I was really wrong. Pics I copied from my D1 were not as clear on the TB. Even pics from the internet were somewhat grainy with some contrast issues. Droid X screen is much clearer.

Notifications - My D1 is rooted and I have installed more ROM'S than I can count. With that said, I have never not gotten gTalk, gmail, SMS/MMS notifications on my D1 like the TB did. The LED just didn't work half the time. I had to reboot a few times so that MMS msgs would come through. gTalk and gmail simply didn't deliver most if the time either. It was nice using gTalk today on my D1. Maybe it was my TB, but gTalk was pretty much unusable - I couldn't trust it.

Photos - Picasa cannot be sync'd. You can upload directly to it, but you cannot view pictures in the native HTC gallery.

Battery Life - Sure, it's a hog. I am a heavy user anyway, so I kind of expected it to use quite a bit. It will use some juice.

Speed - It is fast, but not earth shattering. Sense seems to only move so fast anyway. My D1 is oc'd to 1.1ghz. Also, it doesn't matter how fast the processor is if the memory only charges/discharges at a set rate. The TB has standard memory...so there has to be some kind of speed hindrance even with a 2nd Gen Snapdragon. The Bionic should definitely show some respectable numbers here...with DDR2 memory. This with a dual core processor might be the right combination.

Keyboard - Swype does not come preinstalled. I have the beta Swype, but like it better when it's an OEM option (Like on recent Motorola's).

Anyway, IMO, if one is in a 3g area, the X is a superior handset. Hold out for the Bionic to get a little larger cell phone evolutionary leap than what the TB brings to the table. I don't feel that that the TB is enough of anything to even justify using a 1yr contract upgrade. Save your upgrade for something more than primarily a 4g radio.

6. Canefan

Canefan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are a lot of apps out there that will turn the data connection off like this one does. I use Quick Settings which controls Wifi, Bluetooth, etc and will also shut off the data connection. I think what most people want to do is toggle back and forth between 4G and 3G without losing the data connection entirely. Still not an app out there that does this (surprisingly). Until there is one, going into phone settings and switching the network selection is the only way.

7. n0yxl

n0yxl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is turning into a in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, there is alot of good info to be read; it just needs to be broken into sections. It's terribly hard to self-educate, unless you've been following this thread religiously -which I have not. :icon_eek:

#403 n0yxl, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  8. llgeg

llgeg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you learn what everything means?!

I love my TB, today is day 4, but am getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of info on what each option does/means. I feel ignorant, this is my first smartphone, and I have no clue what things like wi-fi sleep policy means, how do I know what to choose? Is there a place besides googling every.single.time to find out what things mean? The manual doesn't even begin to reference any of this, or mobile network/connect to internet, how do I know when to check uncheck?

Can anyone give me some direction?

9. wolfpackdl90

wolfpackdl90 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    haven't used tango yet (probably try it out later today), but yahoo messenger works pretty good on 3g and on wifi.....

10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    This may or may not help you a bit:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

For example on the wifi sleep, do you want your wifi to go to sleep when your screen goes dark. I say no to that because I want my wifi to handle any data that comes in quickly, as apposed to 3G. Now if you are in 4G area, maybe you do want it off but I believe that 4G uses more battery then wife.

There is a lot to learn about this phone. I'm going to move you into a thread where there are a lot of questions and answers. Not saying to read the whole thread but just take a look around.

11. Fuchueson

Fuchueson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 4
    Twitter:
    mc_morris
    It works well I used it with my iPhone friends

12. frankieg22x

frankieg22x Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just pulled 23753 down and 41394 up in East Hartford on 4g with 4 bars...

I received a new updated 4g map from verizon and it should be stable in Hartford, Fairfield, and New Haven shortly.

#408 frankieg22x, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
Search tags for this page
complaints on my 2013bmw x3 battery issues - what are my rec
complaints on the droid 3
droid 3 reviews and complaints

droid x3 review

htc vidfair
htc vidfair a333updayt
info lpplus.net loc:us
t bolt usa complaints