General collection of tips, how to and questions.

motcher41

Reaction score
I am NOT responsible if you screw up your phone...duh...but anyways...
ALSO- IF YOU FIND ANYTHING TO BE INACCURATE PLEASE POINT IT OUT AND I WILL FIX IT ASAP. THANK YOU
This thread is intended to be helpful. I will tolerate no flaming of anyone of any kind. Those types of posts will be immediatly reported(with extreme prejudice).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First thing i want to say is that for this and any other type of edits similar to this I will be giving instructions for if you are using ROOT EXPLORER. These things can be done easily with other file explorers also. As long as you can browse as root and mount /system as r/w(read/write) . Root explorer makes this very simple and easy.

Now how to do this:
1.When you download an application it usually comes in an .apk format.
2.Using root explorer navigate to the .apk you have downloaded or extracted from a .zip file.
3.Long press the .apk file and choose "MOVE"
4. navigate to /system/app
5. Press the gray button on top of the window you are now viewing that says "Mount R/W"((it will be next to where root explorer shows how much space you have available for the partition you are viewing))
6. Press paste.
7. ::VERY IMPORTANT::you cannot skip this step. Go to the .apk you just pasted and long press it.
Now choose "Permissions"
change the permissions to be rw-r--r--....it will look like this in the boxes
(X=a checked box. _=empty box)
Owner:X X _
Group: X _ _
Others:X _ _

8. now simply reboot your phone and presto it is now a system app. and it wont be wiped away if you perform a data wipe.

If you would like to move an app that you have downloaded from the market to /system , just simply go to /data/app and long press the apk for the app you would like to push to system and follow steps 3-8.
this way you can make an app such as a launcher app your "system launcher" so it wont be wiped if u data wipe. And you could also delete your stock launcher or rename it to .bak and you can have just one launcher running at all times instead of two. (Credit goes to Ashclepdia for the write up)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
####BACKUP your current system with BSR before doing anything!####
1. SBF or nand restore to stock 2.3.4 (if on completely unmodified and fully bloated stock 2.3.4 skip to step 2)
2. Apply 2.3.5 (412 build) in stock recovery after placing on external sd card root and renaming update.zip (reboot phone and hold down volume, press down arrow until you see android recovery, press up volume button, when on next screen press both volume buttons at same time. Wipe cache and flash update.zip)
3. Root using zergrush (with phone unpluged unzip and open zergrush program....make sure unknown sources in applications is checked and that debuggung is checkmarked. I also checkmark stay awake as zergrush recommends setting screen timeout for ten minutes. Connect your phone and then check it is connected as charge only. Hit spacebar and then the phone will reboot after the zerglings lol find a way in and your rooted)
***Rootkeeper has caused issues with some roms aborting install.***
4. Install & then boot into bootstrap
5. Wipe data, cache and dalvik
6. Flash 2.3.5 based custom rom from removable sd card & reboot when done.
http://depositfiles.com/files/gi4tib8jq RSD Lite 5.4.4
http://depositfiles.com/files/spvcfjb4w 2.3.4 SBF
http://depositfiles.com/files/95u3zw9k6 2.3.5 update (412 build) Eclipse 2.0.3 and GingerBread Phone 7 are based off this build
Zergrush V3 is here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=784296&stc=1&d=1321435888
Boot Strap Recovery www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/Bootstrap_signed.apk Download from the link and install from root of sd after rooting phone with zergrush.
They are the actual links the devs made.
http://eclipserom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11 look here for nitro's direct Eclipse 2.0.3 download.
http://depositfiles.com/files/4yk1ylqob
peper's direct GingerBread Phone 7 download
Rootkeeper has caused some failed Eclipse 2.0.X installs. This method is the safest bet.
For icing on the cake here is the SBF Tutorial link if you dont know how to SBF http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1175300

Q.Can you reflash your current rom?
A.Yes you can reflash your current rom again. It will reset any theming you have done or flashed back to the roms presets. It will not delete your downloaded apps but will reset all system apps to the rom presets. You just need to wipe cache and dalvik in BSR before you reflash the SAME rom your currently using. This is generally true for updates to your rom unless there is a kernel change.
-------------------------------------------------------
Search Key as dedicated Camera Button Mod (Credit goes to robocuff for letting me know about this)
In root explorer or my favorite paid Root Browser
/system/usr/keylayout. Open the tegra-kbc.kl file in a text editor and find the line that says key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED and comment it out by putting a # in front of it. Then just add a line that says key 217 CAMERA just below it THE "K" ON BOTH HAVE TO BE LOWER CASE K's. Click save or just back button out. Reboot your phone and you should have it. Root browser creates a backup file called tegra-kbc.kl.bak to revert back just delete the tegra-kbc.kl and then take the .bak off the backup file and reboot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Can is nandriod back and forth from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5
A. You can nadroid back and forth however it will not change the kernel. If you restore a Eclipse 2.0.2 backup and even if the backup was on a 2.3.5 build you will be on the 2.3.4 kernel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advice: For what it's worth. I noticed when Eclipse 2.0 came out and peper pointed this out. Devs and mod makers create these things with instructions and make them based of certain recommendations/prerequisites and if at all possible follow the instructions and recommendations for use. The results they are intending to give you are based off of what they build them. If you want the best results from a rom or mod follow the given instructions. If you read carefully and follow the instructions to a "T" you'll get what you want. All these phones are the same so I am sure some issues people have with a rom or mod can be fixed easily by following the directions/recommendations /prerequisites given. That's why they are there.
Im not trying to discourage playing around with something just saying if you have an issue. Reread the provided instructions and retry it following them exactly. You'll probably find a happy result and less headache.
Happy flashing :)

Last edited: