Galaxy S9 Same Display, Smaller Phone

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s9-screen-to-body-ratio-1024x558-jpg.78125

According to the latest rumors regarding the Samsung Galaxy S9 the device will be smaller, but will include the same size display as the Galaxy S8. The source stated that Samsung will be switching to a 21:9 aspect ratio. The new display will take up 90% of the front of the phone. So we expect to see even smaller bezels than before. Another source suggested that the aspect ratio will remain 18.5:9 which seems to make more sense and further suggest we will just see the phone shrink around the same size display.

The source also states this will be an evolutionary upgrade and not a revolutionary upgrade in regards to design. The only thing we will see change here is a reduced top and bottom bezel. The S9 and S9+ are expected to have a 5.8" and 6.2" display just like the displays found on the S8 and S8+. The report also suggest that the smaller S9 will have a single rear camera and the S9+ will have a dual lens rear camera. We will likely see the S9 announced near the end of February with a release date in March or April.

via GalaxyClub

Attachments

• galaxy-s9-screen-to-body-ratio-1024x558.jpg
    galaxy-s9-screen-to-body-ratio-1024x558.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,202

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I Found the S8 to be a Nice Upgrade from the S6 Edge. Not much Bigger but Noticeable Screen Difference. My wife doesnt like Large Phones and the S6 Edge was Just Right. She was Comfortable with the S8 after the change to the Home Button. lol

pchain

Reaction score
18:9 is narrow enough. 21:9 is too extreme. I suppose it's a way to fool the general public into thinking their display sizes have increased because they are still using an obselete diagonal measurement.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but there becomes a point where the nav keys are simply too low for anyone to ergonomically reach with their thumb without stretching uncomfortably and contorting their hand to the point where the phone flips out of your hand because the phone is so dang tall now - especially at 21:9. (I say this from a one handed use perspective.)

I'd rather see a good quality front facing (stereo) speaker on the bottom bezel than have the nav keys all the way to the bottom edge of the phone.

It's a shame everyone is enamored with bezelless design, for all it's benefits it does take away some common sense utility.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Meh. I didn't care for the S8 going this direction and have stayed with my S7 Edge because of that. Might look at the Note 8. In general, this longer, thinner phone thing that has swept the industry is really not for me. I know, one-handed usage, blah blah blah. I have man hands and can handle the wider devices.

ayanav

Banned
Reaction score
After years of "always bigger", we finally come back to the "more compact design" ... Not too early!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
galaxy note 8 samsung galaxy s7

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
18:9 is narrow enough. 21:9 is too extreme. I suppose it's a way to fool the general public into thinking their display sizes have increased because they are still using an obselete diagonal measurement.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but there becomes a point where the nav keys are simply too low for anyone to ergonomically reach with their thumb without stretching uncomfortably and contorting their hand to the point where the phone flips out of your hand because the phone is so dang tall now - especially at 21:9. (I say this from a one handed use perspective.)

I'd rather see a good quality front facing (stereo) speaker on the bottom bezel than have the nav keys all the way to the bottom edge of the phone.

It's a shame everyone is enamored with bezelless design, for all it's benefits it does take away some common sense utility.
I don't know how I missed this comment back in December, but I did. Here we are with all new phones adopting the bezeless or near bezeless design because "we" have complained about chins & bezels so much. Now, the "we" crowd hates the new design. Oops, you got what you asked for. Those sensor have to go somewhere, and under the screen is not 100% here yet. Maybe in a few years.

I agree, why not live with a small bezel that provides decent front facing speakers and all the necessary sensors?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk