Galaxy Nexus (LTE) running very hot when in use

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by ChenHuangdi, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Most likely it's monitoring your CPU temp, which even 150F is easily within safe limits. We actually monitor CPU temperature in Celsius, so you're looking to stay below 60-65C at max load.

2. skippy311

skippy311 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so having similar issues, but what i dont get, how are u guys getting cpu/gpu temps? all i can find is a battery temp. just bought it 3 days ago, love it, but as nice as it is, the phone isnt useful to me if i need to take the battery out every time i wanna use the thing.

3. ChenHuangdi

ChenHuangdi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my temps and battery life have been better after disabling google's location services.
    its still gets hot for seemingly no reasons...when its not under heavy load, good signal, bad signal...its been odd. it does lose battery very quickly when that happens.
    my OG droid used to get like that when running Words with Friends and battery would get demolished.

i wonder if its apps just not being perfect with ICS yet? The ROMs seem to be fixing some issues with different kernels...
    I finally have a couple days off from work, so I am going to do some testing in my highly unscientific way to see if I am going to warranty return or not.

4. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    yea your GN should not be running HOT. Mine has gotten a little warm when doing allot of 4g while away recently but definitely not hot doing that or when using for GPS which I do quite allot. lol I rhyme :D

5. Juicemane

Juicemane Bang Bang
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Doing anything CPU + Network intensive will increase your Processor usage and increase heat. Streaming videos, Gaming, etc, will all cause the device to get warm. A lot of people are saying its "Very Hot" No... A fresh cup of coffee is "Very Hot" and I highly doubt you are holding it in your hands. If your phone melts, take it back and swap it under warranty. If you are worried about it, Call verizon and have them notate that you called about the heat issue, and that you are worried it may cause damage.. that way if it does, you are covered.

6. Smokie

Smokie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well put. my Gnex runs pretty hot. I stream netflix all day at work. reaches temps close to 120F. my og droid did exactly the same thing once I over clocked it. never had problems due to temp.

7. Juicemane

Juicemane Bang Bang

Ratings:
    +4
    Just wanted to update:

Today I tried out a game called Order and Chaos online, played it for 45min over 4g with the phone plugged in and man.. it was HOT. Not like warm to the touch, but the metal/chrome plastic around the camera literally felt like it was close to burning temps. My battery temp was around 135*f at the time so I know the internals were much higher... Be careful if you do anything over 4g that is cpu/gpu intensive. Normally when I steam Netflix my phone gets warm, this was much worse. Could be the poor coding in the game, but it definitely made my phone hot.

8. Juicemane

Juicemane Bang Bang

Ratings:
    +4
    Update - Swapped it out, new one isnt nearly as hot.

9. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Mine gets hot if I play Modern Combat 3 for like 30+ minutes, but that's normal considering how graphically intense it is+4G usage. My Original Droid would get crazy hot when I'd have it plugged into my car charger while using the GPS. You have to remember, these things are passively cooled, they actually use the frames of the phone as makeshift heatsinks, which means you're holding onto what is essentially the radiator for your CPU/GPU.

I'm thinking placebo affect for the 2nd one being less hot =P

Glad it worked out though.

10. Juicemane

Juicemane Bang Bang

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh no, not a placebo effect, my first one was ****ing hot, not warm, literally to hot to touch around the camera housing. The new one gets warm when I play MC3, but not nearly as bad as my first one. I have had so many smart phones over the years, trust me when I say I know the difference between normal operating temps and oh **** take it back temps.

;-)

11. angelman

angelman Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I had my stock phone in my pocket the other day and felt it was warm, then it just started getting hotter and hotter. It got so hot I coudlnt keep it in my pocket any more for fear of burning myself. There was nothing particularly running. In the end I did a battery pull for fear that the phone would self destruct!

12. pchoi94

pchoi94 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, has anything changed between the time it used to heat up and now that it doesn't? i.e. did you upgrade the kernel or ROM or anything?

Search tags for this page

galaxy nexus heat

galaxy nexus heating up
galaxy nexus heats up

galaxy nexus hot

galaxy nexus hot near camera

galaxy nexus running hot

galaxy nexus very hot
samsung galaxy nexus heating up
samsung galaxy nexus heats up
samsung galaxy nexus running hot