Freezes at Google reboot. 4.0.2-4.0.4

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
I have tried asking this in other forums to which I got no response. Everytime I try to update to 4.0.4 when the phone reboots to install the update it just freezes at the google screen at start and only way to reset is to take battery out. Anyone have this problem or a fix?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have CWM flashed? If so that's your problem. You have to have stock recovery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
Mopdaddy

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
I have no idea what that means I'm sorry. I dont do anything special with my phone though if that is what you mean. Can you tell me how to check that?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you don't know what that means then that's not the problem. Lol. You aren't rooted I take it then?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offutlake

Reaction score
I too have been unsuccessfully trying to force the 4.0.4 update using the google services framework trick for several days. I have been able to get the update to "download" and "verify", but then when the Galaxy Nexus shuts down and boots up, it always sticks / freezes on the black screen with white "google" printing, and I have to remove the battery to get the phone to work. I have lots of apps on my phone, but am a novice and never "rooted" my phone and also don't know what "CWM" means - so I assume I have not done it.

Any suggestions on how to force the 4.0.4 update - cuz as of now (6/4/2012 3:30pm Pac time, in Washington state) I still have not received an OTA update notice.

Thanks for any help!

OP
Mopdaddy

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
It wont even let me do a factory reset it freezes at google on that also. Guess I will have to take to Verizon store in the morning.

OP
Mopdaddy

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
After trying a million times I guess my phone just gave up and would only to to the Google start up screen when I would turn it on. So I took it to the Verizon store where the guy has never seen a phone do that and now I get my new one today sometime in the mail.

Offutlake

Reaction score
New phone for me too. I emailed Verizon Wireless about this update failure, they emailed me back, and I just got off the phone with them (800-922-0204, option 3). I believe I was finally talking to a member of irTier Two Tech Team. They have not received many calls about this issue (of the 4.0.4 update being stuck on the black screen with white google lettering), but Verizon identified this as a path error in the start-up protocol that cannot be fixed. Because they consider this a Samsung warranty issue, they will overnight a free replacement Samsung Galaxy Nexus (that will come with the old 4.0.2 ICS that will need to be updated). Thanks for starting this thread. I'm surprised there don't seem to be that many of us who have had this problem, but was glad to find out it wasn't that I was doing something wrong. Thanks again.

ampny

Reaction score
After trying a million times I guess my phone just gave up and would only to to the Google start up screen when I would turn it on. So I took it to the Verizon store where the guy has never seen a phone do that and now I get my new one today sometime in the mail.

I have two phones that got the update yesterday. The first one loaded perfectly. The second was exactly the same as lyours. It downloads the update and restarts, then freezes at the white Google screen. I tried reloading it at least 5 times with the same outcome. I tried clearing the cache in Google System framework but that didn't work either.
I'm not rooted. Stock GNexus.
Anyone have anything else to try? Or I guess I'm off to my Verizon store.

rajesh06

Reaction score
I am having the same issue

i Got my nexus a few days after it was released - will Verizon just give me a new one to resolve?

Offutlake

Reaction score
Yes - but they'll blame Samsung. Per my earlier email in this string, you can call Verizon at their number in my earlier email, they will overnight you a replacement phone (my was marked certified like new - or something like that), you update your replacement phone to 4.0.4, then mail your broken original phone (minus battery and battery cover) back to Verizon for free in the return packaging provided. I was able to easily update to 4.0.4 on my replacement phone. Good luck.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Yes - but they'll blame Samsung. Per my earlier email in this string, you can call Verizon at their number in my earlier email, they will overnight you a replacement phone (my was marked certified like new - or something like that), you update your replacement phone to 4.0.4, then mail your broken original phone (minus battery and battery cover) back to Verizon for free in the return packaging provided. I was able to easily update to 4.0.4 on my replacement phone. Good luck.

Thanks I took your advice. Samsung is sending me a "Certified Like-New Replacement" phone. called Friday - told going to get it wednesday (not overnight) but its on a plane from Memphis this evening. My guess is that I'll get it Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

A pretty good resolution

bScanner

Reaction score
My replacement phone was a dud.

Thanks I took your advice. Samsung is sending me a "Certified Like-New Replacement" phone. called Friday - told going to get it wednesday (not overnight) but its on a plane from Memphis this evening. My guess is that I'll get it Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

A pretty good resolution

I got my replacement phone and was able to get the update. My replacement phone will not maintain a connection for over a few minutes. It goes from 1-2 bars 4g (normal for my location) to zero anything. Zip, no connection at all. 4G will come back after awhile but won't stay connected for long.

I talked to Verizon tier 2 support and was given a bunch or crap about signals varying with location and different phone types. I stressed that I was comparing identical phones in identical locations. I have another certified "like new" phone on the way. This will be GNex #3. It it fails, it will be my last.