Forwarded call specific ringtones

Droidowner11

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am wanting to buy a Droid phone for my personal Verizon account. I also have a work phone that is Verizon as well. I am wanting to forward all my calls from my work phone too my personal Droid phone. My question is: Is there a way to set a specific ringtone for the calls that are forwarded from my work phone? I want to be able to distinguish if my incoming calls from unknown numbers are work related or not.

Also, if I forward the calls to my personal phone and do not answer the calls. Will the caller here the voicemail for the number he called or the number it was forwarded to?

And lastly, is there a specific phone I should be looking at to make this easier. My top choices now are the Droid X, Droid 2, or HTC Thunderbolt?

Thanks for helping this new Droid user.

fraggercrue

Reaction score
a fix, of sorts

I was trying to do the same exact thing. There are a couple of solutions, none of them perfect.

You can use Google Voice. You can have your business number forwarded to Google Voice. Then sign in to Google Voice (on the web, not on your phone) and change your settings so that when GV rings your phone your GV number shows instead of the number calling. Then you set up a contact on your phone for your GV number and set a distinctive ringtone. Sounds more complicated than it actually is. This works pretty well, but GV can be a little glitchy and I didn't want that for my business.

I did a lot of looking. I was never able to find a way to assign a distinctive ringtone to my business phone forwarded calls. However, I did come across this app on the Android Market called Forwarded Call Alert. It is not guaranteed to work on every phone, so download the free version first and make sure it works for you. It briefly pops up a notification that you are receiving a forwarded call. After you determine if it works on your phone, then you pay for the full version app. After you pay for it, the forwarded call notification stays up until either you answer the phone or it rolls to voice mail. My problem is solved; I can look and see if the call is business or personal before I answer.

Now, forwarded calls go to my personal cell phone voice mail, not to the business voice mail. For me, this is a plus, except then I can't tell which voice mails are personal or business. I just have to listen to them and determine from content. However, the answer to your question is that, they will hear your outgoing message from your personal voice mail. Which, of course, leads to another problem. I want my business customers to hear a professional message indicating they have reached the business they were calling, but I don't want to use that same message for my personal calls.

In the end, Google Voice may be the best choice, even with the occasional glitch. I've already set up a distinctive ringtone for it, calls on the GV line roll to the GV voice mail, which has a professional outgoing message for my clients. Also, at least for now, it is free.

Finally, as for a specific phone, you might want to see if the phones you are considering will run these two apps, GV and Forwarded Call Alert.