For those who rooted

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What kernel are you running? I'm using stock right now. I keep reading about ElementalX. Anyone see a difference? This phone is already fast.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Still stock as well, I'm running the "Chroma" ROM and I believe he recommends that kernel as well.

Honestly this combo is running so well, everything works, and the battery life is amazing.

It may be a case of I don't know, what I don't know... but I don't think there's anything more I need on that front.

Now if someone would just work on the multi-window implementation. Pretty pathetic compared to Samsung's.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had LeanKernel installed at one point, but I experimented with something and had to restore a backup, now anytime I flash the kernel it doesn't get past the Google screen. I don't know if I have to reflash the vendor.img or what, I haven't tried.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I had LeanKernel installed at one point, but I experimented with something and had to restore a backup, now anytime I flash the kernel it doesn't get past the Google screen. I don't know if I have to reflash the vendor.img or what, I haven't tried.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
I thought the kernel was wholly independent ? Wonder if there is something else that get's written to the Vendor Partition.

Before you flash the vendor.img I'd remove security from the phone, then flash. I think Beans has a TWRP flashable vendor zip

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really haven't read up too much on where everything is at anymore. And that's probably the issue. I didn't educate myself before I just dove in. I think the kernel is with the boot image. But I don't know if the vendor image is messing things up, that seems to be the common denominator when I see issues with flashing things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I really haven't read up too much on where everything is at anymore. And that's probably the issue. I didn't educate myself before I just dove in. I think the kernel is with the boot image. But I don't know if the vendor image is messing things up, that seems to be the common denominator when I see issues with flashing things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Sooo from what little I know. The Boot.img in the ROM zip is the kernel. And it appears there is data that TWRP either doesn't backup or restore correctly. It may be in the vendor partition, though just flashing that hasn't solved the security issue.

There appears to be some linkage between vendor and something else that get's broken on a restore of a different ROM - at least for security.

Hopefully the the really bright minds over there will sort it all out sooner than later.