FLAC on droid?

Vindii

Reaction score
Success with stock music player and Smoked Glass 2.1!

I'm running the 6.01 Smoked Glass 2.1 ROM that has the FLAC patch. I found this 16bit FLAC file on the internet. I downloaded to my DROID via USB. Renamed the extension to .mp3 and was able to play the file on my DROID using the stock 2.1 music player.

http://ff123.net/rach2/rach2_16bits_ditherssrc3_ref.flac

I tried some of my music with renameing them and they do not play. Renaming them does make them show up in the list though.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Success with stock music player and Smoked Glass 2.1!

I'm running the 6.01 Smoked Glass 2.1 ROM that has the FLAC patch. I found this 16bit FLAC file on the internet. I downloaded to my DROID via USB. Renamed the extension to .mp3 and was able to play the file on my DROID using the stock 2.1 music player.

http://ff123.net/rach2/rach2_16bits_ditherssrc3_ref.flac

I tried some of my music with renameing them and they do not play. Renaming them does make them show up in the list though.

They have to be 16bit encoded or they will not play.

slinky

Reaction score
You need a good amount of power to play FLAC files. Even on a PC they require a good amount of power for it to be smooth.

thechosenwonton

Reaction score
Meridian

On Motorola Droid, Meridian player worked flawlessly for FLAC, and is a better player imo than the stock droid one, plays very smooth.

The caveat is that the audio out on basically any phone, no matter how nice, isn't of high enough quality to bother with flac - a high quality MP3 encoding from FLAC should garner you 99.9999% response on even a high end system, simply due to the audio processing not being what it would be on a high quality home stereo or professional level sound card.

That being said, it is nice that the option is there now. Meridian is free, btw.

joepits

Reaction score
The only distro I found that works with flac is cyanogen. Bugless beast up to ESE81 has said it supports flac, but i was never able to play them in the stock player. So I'm on cyanogen for now even though its not froyo.

edit: oh ok, i guess with BB it won't show up in the stock player but they play if you open them in a file manager like Astro.