File Transfer on Droid X

New2DroidTC

Reaction score
Hello, all. I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I am thinking of buying the Droid X or a newer version if a 4G model comes out very soon. I am trying to figure out if I can use the Droid to transfer files for work. I have Verizon and would get the unlimited data package, but hope to do this with the phone itself and not have to tether to my laptop.

I know that I can view Word files, PDFs and listen to mp3s, but I'm trying to figure out if I can take an mp3 sent to me via e-mail or You Send It, download onto my phone's micro SD card, and then transfer it to my computer via the SD card. Also, I'd want to do the same backwards with Word files - put the memory card into my computer, save a Word file to the card, then put the card into the phone and use the e-mail in the phone to send the Word file as an attachment. Would that work?

So in other words, if I were camping I could transfer work files by using the phone's SD card back and forth to my computer without tethering, and using the phone as the sole source, and the laptop would be offline the whole time.

If anyone knows whether this can be done and/or how to do it, that would be very much appreciated.

Snow02

Reaction score
This is smartphone 101 stuff and, yes, you can do that. But you don't have to take the sd card out, you just connect the phone to your computer via usb and copy over whatever you want.

OP
N

New2DroidTC

Reaction score
Oh, great. Thank you. This is my first smartphone, so I had no idea. So I can do it with any file type - .pdf, .doc, etc.? And is there a file size limit? The mp3s would be about 30mb. I read something on the Verizon site that says there's a 4mb limit, but maybe that's in the phone's e-mail itself and not if you use the browser to do it?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
No need to even use the USB connection if you are going to be near a WiFi connection, and even 3G data...just use DropBox to transfer files back and forth from the phone to the PC...it just needs to be installed on both devices which takes less than 10 minutes.

Just out of curiosity, what type of .mp3 file is 30mb?

OP
N

New2DroidTC

Reaction score
They're files that I have to transcribe for work, so are longer than songs, etc. They're anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes long, so average about 30mb. So if I can download them on the phone, get them into the computer, do the work, and then take the Word file from the computer and email it with the phone back to the boss it will work out great when camping, etc.

I'd read about size limitations with the smartphones, but I guess maybe DropBox would get around that?

To make it more complicated, often they send them to me via "You Send It" so that may complicate matters even more.

Edit: I see now, the laptop would have to be online as well so I guess the Dropbox wouldn't solve it, so I'd use the USB so that only the phone is online through the data plan (avoiding the tethering charge).