Fed up with what AT&T has to offer

DallasOregon

Reaction score
Supposedly there were to be 5 phones out by now. Been waiting for a nice qwerty, with no luck. The backflip does not count.

So, thinking of jailbreaking. Do I lose anything other than a bunch of money if I jailbreak?

Also, which phones/service can I do this with?

turdbogls

Reaction score
"Jailbreaking" is a term only used for iOS devices...AKA...iphone, ipod touch, iPad.

if you are talking about Rooting, just search around for a forum specific to your phone and see how it is done. there is a one touch universal android root app out there somewhere, just make sure that works on your phone and you should be good to go. and i dotn know how you loose a bunch of money when you jailbreak or Root a device. it is free, the only thing you loose is your warranty, but rooting can be undone i believe so you get your warranty back.

OP
DallasOregon

DallasOregon

Reaction score
Thanks. Obiously I am new at this. So, I assume I need to find one that takes a sim card, correct? Which servers do that?

The reason I brought up money is that I would have to pay full price, rather than the nice little price, if you extend your cell service.

About loosing features, I cell guy told me I would, but hey, he could be wrong! :)

turdbogls

Reaction score
Thanks. Obiously I am new at this. So, I assume I need to find one that takes a sim card, correct? Which servers do that?

The reason I brought up money is that I would have to pay full price, rather than the nice little price, if you extend your cell service.

About loosing features, I cell guy told me I would, but hey, he could be wrong! :)

i have been a verizon customer for the last 10+ years so i have no clue how AT&T works. but i believe as long as the phone is not locked (verizon has ESN's that can be good or bad) you will be able to use it.

if i was going to suggest one AT&T android phone it would have to be the Galaxy S phone (samsung vibrant i think)

and that guy you talked to was completely wrong. the only thing you loose is warranty, but you gain a lot more features with rooting and jailbreaking.

OP
DallasOregon

DallasOregon

Reaction score
AT&T has sims cards. Verizon doesn't. I was a long time Verizon customer before switching to AT&T. I would still have Verizon, but it does not work at my house, at all. Pretty should I have to have another phone that takes sim cards. T-Mobile does, but not sure if there are others.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need a GSM device that is compatible with at&t's frequencies. Whether a device uses a SIM card doesn't mean anything in and of itself as there are devices with SIM slots that won't work with at&t or will work with 2G speeds or worse.

If you'e not getting it from at&t you need to make sure that it is unlocked. I'm not sure I understand what you perceive to be the relevance of rooting given that at&t doesn't carry the devices you want. It's apples and oranges. Whether a device is rooted or not has no bearing on whether it will work with at&t or not. Perhaps I'm missing something...

AT&T has sims cards. Verizon doesn't.
Actually, Verizon's hybrid devices (usually referred to as world phones) do.