Facinate G nav volume too low

mf18nh

Reaction score
The volume on G navigation is much lower that what I get on a speaker call. Thinking of returning phone because it is too difficult to hear driving instructions. Any ideas on a fix for this?

snrsuave

Reaction score
This was driving me nuts, but I finally found a solution! You don't need root or anything to fix, but you do have to enable the secret hidden menu, then adjust a few settings. To enable to hidden menu and access the "audio tuning" settings go here:

Android_Secret_Code String Revealed! - Android Forums

Once you access the audio tuning menu, select "stream", and then select which setting you want to adjust. In your case, it sounds like you are listening to your nav over the phone's external speaker, so you would be adjusting the "stream_speaker" settings. Once inside, you will want to adjust the "SYSTEM" setting. Google nav uses the system volume setting for it's navigation volume, so this what needs to be adjusted. I have mine set as follows and it is much louder:

step0 = 0
step1 = 58
step2 = 65
step3 = 72
step4 = 79
step5 = 86
step6 = 93
step7 = 100
dbStep = 0.5

Default values were:
step0 = 0
step1 = 29
step2 = 35
step3 = 41
step4 = 47
step5 = 53
step6 = 59
step7 = 65
dbStep =0.5

By contrast, the speakerphone maximum setting is 86, so if these values are percentages, the navigation volume was 21% lower than the speakerphone volume.

I also adjusted the "stream_headset" setting, since I listen to the music player in my car, and when navigating, the turn by turn directions were barely audible over the music player. The default maximum system volume setting was 65. The maximum music volume setting was 98. This is why I had to listen to music at half volume in order to have the nav volume be equal, even though the nav volume was at max. I hope this helps and I will be posting this elsewhere to help as much people out as I can.

ingrid907

Reaction score
You are THE wizard!1

After spending 30 mintues with the useless Verizon Wireless tech dept. and then another hour with Samsung none of them could help with the low navi volume.
I tired your fix...presto!!! I can acutally hear my navi directions now!!
You are my hero!!

theraptscallion

Reaction score
Worked like a charm for me, but using nav boosts the system volume to 100% every time I close it, which makes the normal click noises VERY loud. When I reset it in settings>sound&display>system volume, it goes back to normal. At least until I relaunch the nav program, then it resets system volume back to a full bar. Weird.

Leonard1818

Reaction score
sorry to bump this old thread but I'm wondering what people have their "Stream_headset_setting" values set to.

I too listen to music via bluetooth and so my navi voice comes thru bluetooth. I can't begin to hear the voice on the navi when listening to music.

I set my Stream_headset_settings to those listed in post 2 but they keep reverting back to default. The Stream_earpiece_settings will stay at the values outlined in post 2 but the stream_headset will not.

What gives?