Facebook App instead of main web site

aminoff

Reaction score
On my new Droid Turbo, running KitKat, when I click on a Facebook link in Gmail, it takes me to the browser and the Facebook main web site. How can I get it to take me to the app instead of the web?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
It should have prompted you to decide what the default app would be to open that link.

Just to be certain go ahead and clear defaults from Chrome (if that's the browser you use) Settings > Applications > Chrome > Clear Defaults.

OP
A

aminoff

Reaction score
I actually use the Dolphin browser, but it seems to me that it isn't a browser issue. I am clicking on a link in a Facebook email in my GMail app, and instead of taking me to the Facebook app, it goes to the browser and the Facebook web site. It seems like it should be a setting in the GMail app, but I can't find it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't get many facebook emails these days. I turned them off when I decided to just use the app.

However, I'm not sure that the app is actually coded to launch when links are clicked in other apps. ie-If someone posts on twitter that they've put something on facebook and I click the link, it launches Chrome for me and takes me to the site. So, I don't think the facebook app actually supports that functionality in the same way that Twitter, and even third-party Twitter apps and Google+ do.

OP
A

aminoff

Reaction score
I don't get many facebook emails these days. I turned them off when I decided to just use the app.

However, I'm not sure that the app is actually coded to launch when links are clicked in other apps. ie-If someone posts on twitter that they've put something on facebook and I click the link, it launches Chrome for me and takes me to the site. So, I don't think the facebook app actually supports that functionality in the same way that Twitter, and even third-party Twitter apps and Google+ do.

Thanks. I just got the Droid Turbo and it is the phone I am talking about. My previous phone was a Droid Maxx. On the Maxx, the links took you to the app, not the web. I wonder if it could be a problem with Kitkat (4.4.4).

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Have you tried what Nick said?

Here is what mine offers when clicking a link from an email:

Screenshot_2014-12-24-09-05-18.png