[Editorial] Google's Rumored New Nexus Focus for Android Could Lead to Great Things

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
free-large-android256.jpg

By now, most of you have probably heard the newest rumors reported from The Wall Street Journal that Google plans to expand their Nexus program to a whole new level. When you bring everything together, their grand plan starts to come become clear, and the future of Android could be incredible for the consumer. Supposedly, their new focus will be to create a plethora of Nexus-style pure Google Android devices that will sell in the Google Play Store. Furthermore, according to the report, rather than cherry picking a single manufacturer, they will be working with five different manufacturers on multiple Nexus devices. Here's a breakdown of how things seem to be evolving:
  1. Rumors begin to surface of a Google Branded Nexus Tablet.
  2. Google begins selling unlocked Galaxy Nexus on the Google Play Store for only $400, opening the door for the concept of a carrier free, no-contract experience.
  3. This newest rumor suggests that Google plans to expand this program to include a host of Google branded Nexus devices, including tablets and phones, that come from five different OEMs.
  4. If this turns out to be true, Google finally finds a way to focus the Android ecosystem and offer a truly Google Android experience for consumers.
Now, obviously, there is some speculation thrown in here, but let's see how far down this rabbit hole we can go. Here's a list of benefits that become obvious: (Feel free to suggest any more I might have missed.)
  • This will improve the consistency and accountability of the Android OS and reduce fragmentation. (Which has always been one of the biggest complaints against Android.)
  • You can get a purely Google Android phone free of carrier bloatware and add-on UIs.
  • Regular updates to the OS will come quicker and more reliably.
  • By partnering up with multiple manufacturers for Nexus devices, it gives consumers more choice, but allows Google to control the quality and functionality of the product.
  • The consumer will not be locked into a specific carrier or contract. This would force carriers to become more competitive with their pricing.
  • The total cost of ownership could potentially be reduced, thus giving you the option to upgrade your phone every year, instead of every two years.
  • The phones would be unlocked so the world of custom ROMS and mods would be wide-open for those so inclined. (This would make things easier for devs too.)
It's important to note that Google tried this before back in 2010, but of course, the carriers balked at this. It's not surprising because the carriers love to keep their customers locked into two-year agreements, and they would probably try to fight this tooth and nail. However, this time, Google has built enough of a brand following with Android, that they could pretty easily exert enough pressure to force this into reality. This would represent a major paradigm shift in the way Google handles the Android business, and would show the world that Google is committed to Android in a big way.

It's interesting how this concept would allow Google to continue to be open with Android, yet would also allow them to exert more control and keep things focused. It seems almost paradoxical but this new Nexus convergence seems to merge some of the concepts of Apple's focused design aesthetic with Google's open source mindset. The future evolution of Android could get quite interesting very soon. Share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Andrstein

Reaction score
I hope you're right!

Sounds waaaay better than the current situation. Is a brilliant strategy if, infact, it plays out like that. I love seeing some kind of light at the end of the tunnel regarding carriers holding up Android updates and locked bootloaders and (add favorite gripe here).

Or will this play out like so many other Android rumors and keep me grasping for the next bit of hope from one delayed update to the next?

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
See, I keep seeing people reporting that you can save money by using a prepaid plan rather than signing a contract... But I have yet to see a prepaid plan that I can use a Nexus on, that will really save me money to use?!?! That is other than the T-Mobile / Walmart plan which is very limiting.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
See, I keep seeing people reporting that you can save money by using a prepaid plan rather than signing a contract... But I have yet to see a prepaid plan that I can use a Nexus on, that will really save me money to use?!?! That is other than the T-Mobile / Walmart plan which is very limiting.

It's not the best arrangement now because of data, but if companies couldn't lock you in to contracts just so you can get a new phone they would have to become much more competitive and we'd have a setup akin to that of much of Europe. This will be a beautiful thing.

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It's not the best arrangement now because of data, but if companies couldn't lock you in to contracts just so you can get a new phone they would have to become much more competitive and we'd have a setup akin to that of much of Europe. This will be a beautiful thing.

Oh I don't disagree with the idea.. The issue is, you need a business that offers a usable service before you can really do anything as a customer... Also in Europe all carriers use the same technology (GSM), so any phone you buy is compatible with any carrier. While I think the thought of this is great, I also think that the prospect of it happening is very unlikely.

Go ahead call Verizon tell them you have a phone and dont want to sign contract.. I am willing to bet the prepaid plan they offer you will actually cost more than one in which you sign a contract. Sure you hear about these start-up companies all the time but I have yet to see one that will allow you to buy a GSM android phone unlocked of your own choice such as the Galaxy Nexus and add it to their network with a true unlimited data package. Really this is all we need.. screw SMS and cdma or gsm (aka talk).. Give me unlimited Data and I can take care of the rest with sip and google voice.

meishkov

Reaction score
This had better be more than a rumor.

That's what I'm saying. Now with Big Red getting rid of grandfathered unlimited right after the bogus $30 upgrade fee. Now with their court proceedings going towards a positive end this is great news, very exciting.:icon_ lala:Sounds like they're just urging people to upgrade which is fine, hopefully there's a quadcore out by the time these frugal jerks give us a definitive date for when this will go into effect permanently.:biggrin:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola Nexus WOOHOOOOOO:hail:

jayman350

Reaction score
This could be incredible for the development community having multiple Nexus devices coming directly from Google. However the issue with getting carriers to allow you to put said phone onto a new plan without contract is the tough one.

I would love to see an open marketplace where carriers are chosen based on the actual services they offer, rather than what phones are available to them. unfortunately I don't see that coming in the immediate future with the amounts of cash people fork over to the carriers why would they want to change anything.

But yeah, Moto (owned by Google) Nexus would be awesome

Swyped from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This could be incredible for the development community having multiple Nexus devices coming directly from Google. However the issue with getting carriers to allow you to put said phone onto a new plan without contract is the tough one.

I would love to see an open marketplace where carriers are chosen based on the actual services they offer, rather than what phones are available to them. unfortunately I don't see that coming in the immediate future with the amounts of cash people fork over to the carriers why would they want to change anything.

But yeah, Moto (owned by Google) Nexus would be awesome

Swyped from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

You are right the hardest part will be the carriers. The 2yr contract/high etf is the main weapon of carriers. If we could up and leave any time we felt like it then when a carrier did something we did not like we could take our phone some where else. Carriers realize the power is in the contracts which is why they are willing to do any and everything to get you to sign.

Jak_Attack

Reaction score
Actually you can!

Actually, on Straight Talk's website you can purchase sim cards to put in your unlocked GSM phones. They allow you to bring you own GSM phones now. They even provide you with the APN settings you will need to put into your phone to make your phone work with their network. Also, in some cities they will let you chose whether you want your sim card you obtain from them to work on At&t's network or T mobile's, but sadly in my city I cannot chose.