Droidx WiFi calling

Powerstroken

Reaction score
Hello- Brand new member here... :icon_ banana:
I just put my iPhone on Craig’s list. We live in a very rural area and ATT dropped all service completely. I was going to jail break it but thought I’d try the X for its screen size and features. VZ's "map" shows full 3G here so thought I'd try it.
Well sad to say in the house all I can do is 1 or 2 bars, and most calls are dropped after a min or so, even though the "map" states we are full 3G.

Q- anyone here know of, or can recommend the best app for using my existing WiFi to place DroidX VOIP calls? Only requirement is I need inbound and outbound, and to all numbers, including landlines?

I noticed the "Hub" device VZ sells on their site, which u purchase to route Droid calls via your existing WiFi gear, but I looks as though you still incur talk minuets when using my own network.. Which brings be to the Droid App question above?

Looking forward to many future Droid conversations here, and any feedback on this also.
Thanks

bobthebob

Reaction score
@Ving - somewhat put off by the image of a "Droid X" on the site that looks nothing at all like a Droid X.

a detail perhaps but still...

bobthebob

Reaction score
also - the fact that they don't even have Motorola in their list of supported phones on the software download page...

I'll pass...

Bert336

Reaction score
Most of these programs advertise their service for cheaper calls and what not...but i can go buy me a $5 dollar calling card (with local calling center number - same area code) and talk for more than an hour or two depending on the card.

I would really like to see these wifi call apps deliver a cheaper pricing for the customers.

So for now, i'll stick to my calling cards =]

bobthebob

Reaction score
@powerstroken (and bert too!)

let me say that I spent about a week trying to find a free VOIP solution and came up empty.

it's supposed to be theoretically possible but I found that unless one has a Sourcery account - which are rarer than hen's teeth and no longer available - it's pretty much a no go.

BUT - it turns out that there IS a very good, very EASY (!) solution - FRING.

I've been using FRING when I'm lying around in my bedroom where I get almost no reception and I have to say that it totally works and is so ridiculously cheap that I've been using it for about a month and have only spent about $3.50 - and most of that was a 10 min international call to London. it's about $.01/min to talk to any number and if you are calling someone who has a smartphone, you can have them get FRING on their end and then (like Skype) it's free.

the other thing I discovered quite by accident is that it works as a Google Chat client!

anyway - I recommend it highly.
to sum up:

- it's cheap to the point of being nearly free.
- it can BE free if the other person uses it
- it imports all your DX contacts
- it's extremely easy to use

and no - I don't work for them -j

cheers,
b