droidTruckersLog - A daily driver's log for commercial CDL drivers

Itamar

Reaction score

This is a great app for commercial CDL drivers that are required to keep a driver's daily log book. With the click of a button you can log your duty status (Off Duty, Sleeper Berth, Driving or On Duty) and the app automatically enters time & location. There's an overview feature that gives you a running total of each status type for the day. A daily pre-trip inspection report with check off inspection items is also included. The app also keeps track of carrier info, driver info, vehicle info (truck & trailers), common locations and trip info.

The free version is an earlier version with some bugs and not as many features. The $10 for the paid version of this app is well worth the price. If you're a road warrior, you will be very happy with this.

Keep on truckin!

EDIT> This app is now fully functional.
The instruction manual (which I wrote) is located HERE
The developer's program page is located HERE

Last edited:

cuskit

Reaction score
.xml export and PDF report are available from Driver's Daily Log and Driver's Daily Vehicle Inspection.

FYI, the app paid version seems to be temporarily missing from the market. Probably until the zulu time issue is resolved. The free (ads) version is still available HERE.
Nice tip! This is exactly what I've been looking for! There was a similar app for Palm years ago, but support dropped off and it became obsolete with the newer OS. This looks to be a great replacement! Thanks for sharing. Maybe it'll help me stay up to date and keep the boys in blue off my back! Not a big rig - but our box van is still over 10,000 and requires self- inspection, ergo the log... ;) cuskit

Jjwilliams

Reaction score
I got the free version till the other comes out. Looks good so far, but does it save carrier info?

OP
Itamar

Itamar

Reaction score
Does it save carrier info?

Yes it does. It is capable of saving multiple carriers and you just choose one from your list on each daily report. It is also capable of storing terminals, truck, trailer, driver and location infos which can be easily imported into future logs.

Last edited:
OP
Itamar

Itamar

Reaction score
My latest communication with the developer (a pleasant gentleman in Germany) confirms that he has fixed the bugs I've found and now I am beta testing the update. It may be 2-3 days before we feel confident enough to announce it as bug free. I will post here once it's ready for prime time.

Last edited:

Postnsons

Reaction score
I'm really interested in the app, however what do you show the scalemaster when he asks for your last 8 days of logs, or 30 days, for that matter??

bennyj

Reaction score
Well I'm finally home for a few days. Got a good night's sleep. It's so nice to sleep in a real bed again.

Anyway, my latest communication with the developer (a pleasant gentleman in Germany) confirms the removal of the paid version from the market, but only temporarily. He is fixing the bugs I've found and I am beta testing the fixes. It may be 2-3 days before it's fully functional and we feel confident enough to re-release. I will post here once it's ready for prime time.

In the mean time, have a great weekend y'all.

I noticed the paid version is back in the market, did he fix it already ? I would also like to know how you would show the scale master the log if you only keep track electronically on your droid?

OP
Itamar

Itamar

Reaction score
I'm really interested in the app, however what do you show the scalemaster when he asks for your last 8 days of logs, or 30 days, for that matter??

To legally use this, or any other electronic log software, you must have the ability to print out the log in your truck, so a PC (most likely a laptop) and a small printer would be necessary. FMCSA rules require you to sign a completed log page at the end of the day. Normal procedure would be to print out 2 copies of the log at the end of the day, sign them both, send one off to the carrier and one goes into your file (which is the same as you would do with a paper log). If law enforcement asks for today's log, FMCSA rules state that they have to allow you to print it out.

OP
Itamar

Itamar

Reaction score
I noticed the paid version is back in the market, did he fix it already ?

The paid version in the market is still being beta tested with some more discovered bugs being worked out (the market is how he's getting it to me for beta testing). It is not ready for prime time, so do not download it yet. Only myself and one other person have actually purchased it so far. If you had purchased it, you would have seen something like 20 different updates in the past 24 hours. I've been working very closely with the developer to iron out all the bugs. We're getting close to a perfect app though. I'm a 20+ year trucking veteran, so rest assured, this app will be perfect when we're done. I will post here once we are certain it's ready for public consumption.

OP
Itamar

Itamar

Reaction score
I am happy to announce that after 3 days of intensive back and forth communications with the developer, this app is now fully functional and bug free.

Zulu time is tracked by tagging a time zone to your home terminal. Now, no matter which time zone you are located in when using this program, the auto time entry function will always use your home terminal's time zone.

Also working is the daily recap which calculates hours for both 7 day / 60 hour and 8 day / 70 hour drivers.

The log output now complies with all FMCSA rules.

I have posted a link to the instruction manual in the original post.

TruckerdOut

Reaction score
Is there a GPS app for commercial trucks available? ...wieght restricted bridges, HM routing, low underpasses, scales, T.S...etc?