Droid phone and Wi Fi??

hydro556

Reaction score
I have not been able to get Wi-Fi to work yet, since I have had my phone.

The Droid shows that it is connected, and that the signal strength is Good. But I cannot access the web, or mail or anything. My wireless network is good to go(works fine with both of our laptops), and the Droid works fine on 3G.

Should I simply unplug and then reboot my wireless router, or is there more to it? I have not messed with anything having to do with our wireless network since I originally installed it 1.5 years ago, so I need suggestions in layman's terms, pls. LOL

bwhite757

Reaction score
Is your wireless an open network?? Or do you have security setup on it?

The droids WiFi is fairly simple. Turn it on, select a network, and you're good, the droid pulls an IP from the router's DHCP server, and connects to the subnet. Everything should sync-up fine - On an open network.

I actually haven't tried to connect to a secured network yet on the Droid so I have no help for you there...

bwhite757

Reaction score
Yep, just setup my router to go secured, connects fine....

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score

The droids WiFi is fairly simple. Turn it on, select a network, and you're good, the droid pulls an IP from the router's DHCP server, and connects to the subnet. Everything should sync-up fine - On an open network.

I actually haven't tried to connect to a secured network yet on the Droid so I have no help for you there...

I appreciate the advice. I am not sure what type of setup I have.

My wife has better luck messing with crap like this than I do. When she gets home I will have her see if she can make it happen.

Hopefully a simple reboot will work.

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score

That was funny the first few hundred times I saw it. Not so much anymore.

This forum is for asking questions pertaining to the Droid specifically. If you didnt like seeing questions about the Droid, I suspect you wouldnt be here, LOL.

At any rate, I searched prior to asking my question, and decided to still ask it. I am not particularly concerned with your feelings on my decision. Move along if it bothers you. There are very few questions on the forum that have not been asked in one form or another already. That is the nature of internet forums. Duplication of topics is as common as the dupe nazis themselves.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I am having nothing but issues with mine but it could be a router issue. It will connect briefly then I receive an error Network out of range, funny thing is I am 2 ft from the router.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I am having nothing but issues with mine but it could be a router issue. It will connect briefly then I receive an error Network out of range, funny thing is I am 2 ft from the router.

I have similar problems with Wi-fi. It doesn't work very well at home or at school... both are secured connections via WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].

It's frustrating, because I have NO issues with my iPod touch, laptop, or netbook on EITHER connection (home and school), yet my Droid will constantly say it's out of range (when sitting within 2-3 feet of the router at home, and in the same room [the computer lab] as the router at school). It's just infuriating that I can't use Wi-Fi when I want on my Droid, yet I can tote my netbook, laptop, and iPod touch around with me to the same places and have Wi-Fi work just fine.

I am wholly convinced that there are problems with the hardware/software of some or all Droids that cause them to act up and not work properly with Wi-Fi. I'm extremely well-versed with Wireless network setup and I can tell you, my home network is setup perfectly and I shouldn't be having ANY issues with my Droid working on Wi-Fi.

If others are reading this, yes, the Droid has problems with Wi-Fi, but do not contact VZW for tech support. They will say they can't help because Wi-Fi isn't their thing, you need to contact your ISP, etc. I've also read that exchanging out your Droid for a new one doesn't necessarily solve anything.

Ignore the idiots on here who say "oh gee, I'm not having any problems with Wi-Fi, so your problems are invalidated!" -- If you're experiencing Wi-Fi issues, check on your settings, but the Droid ***SHOULD*** (in theory) be able to work with any and all secured and non-secured setups (whether it's WEP, WPA, or WPA2 or some combination of those such as the one I'm using, which is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]). It's just that some people's Droids just plain don't work very well with Wi-Fi, in specific, they have problems maintaining a solid connection. Once in a while, mine will connect, only to disconnect minutes later without me doing anything... WTF?

There's an issue with some routers, I believe, that's causing the Droid to not get along so well with some people's networks. For example, my Droid doesn't seem to care whether I have any security or no security at all - it has trouble connecting regardless. Same with how my Droid acts on my college's campus and staying connected to its' wireless network.

I hope Motorola, Verizon, and/or Google hurry up and fix this. It's one seriously annoying and frustrating problem.

JFDroid

Reaction score

Given that you have the correct password for the network you're trying to connect to, security of any type should present absolutely no problems relating to connectivity and signal strength for the Droid.

Security is a non-issue. It's not a factor in why some people are experiencing problems with Wi-Fi on their Droids, at least not based on the evidence we have so far.

I've found that regardless of the type of security used on a given network (or lack thereof, i.e. a network with no security, as you mentioned), my Droid has trouble maintaining a solid connection and simply does not connect at all. Period. It doesn't matter if I change the security from WEP or WPA or WPA2 or open to any of these options, my Droid STILL has problems. Please explain how that is 'user error' as your post implies.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Like the above poster just said...seems to work for some and not for others.

I have no problem connecting to WPA-2 secured networks and normal WPA.

Anyone know if using a WIFI app will help anyone like "WeFi Connect"?

JFDroid

Reaction score
Like the above poster just said...seems to work for some and not for others.

I have no problem connecting to WPA-2 secured networks and normal WPA.

Anyone know if using a WIFI app will help anyone like "WeFi Connect"?

I'm guessing that it's both a hardware/software malfunction (one or the other... or maybe both) with a certain number or batch of Droid phones, OR that it's a problem with certain models of routers (for example, I have a Netgear Rangemax Wireless N Router - pretty good router, runs really well and no problems with ANYTHING such as my laptop, netbook, ipod touch, etc. so far), or some combination of both.

Either way, this is NOT user error and seems 100% unrelated to security settings. I wish people would let the security settings thing die, stop assuming something is a problem when it is not, and try to be generally more helpful and supportive rather than misleading.

If you are having Wi-Fi problems, check your router settings. This can usually be done by going to www.routerlogin.net, and logging in. If you've never done this before, you should be able to login with the user name "admin" and the password "password". These are the default settings for most routers.

Second, you need to check if your router is broadcasting its' Wi-Fi signal. Chances are if you're one of the people getting a strong signal (i.e. full Wi-Fi bars) and are sitting close to the router and Wi-Fi's not working on your Droid, your router IS broadcasting its' Wi-Fi signal. This is indicative of other problems, such as the previously mentioned software/hardware problems with certain Droids, or lack of proper compatibility between the Droid and certain models of routers.

mike_kauble

Reaction score
FWIW

On Call: All about the Droid | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Q: There is quite a thread developing (26 pages and counting) on Motorola's support forums regarding serious problems with Wi-Fi on the Droid. Have you heard anything about this? If there is a major Wi-Fi flaw in the Droid (and I suspect there is because I too am a victim), it could be pretty big news.
- Keith
A: I've been following this issue in the past few days. We haven't had the same issue with our Droid review model, but I'm checking with Verizon and Motorola to see if they have any comment. I'll let you know what they say.

eversonsc

Reaction score
Mine worked great on my home wi-fi for a while and then 2 days ago it would connect and not surf. I tried everything and then decided to turn off the wifi on the phone, unplug the cable modem and router and then plug everything back in. After everything synced up I then turned the wifi on the phone back on and it's worked ever since. I think it had something to do with the IP address or something. I'd try that.

darreno1

Reaction score
No problems with wifi here yet, worked on every network I tried it on.