Droid Landing is Just a Game: 'Droid Combat - Mission Alpha' in Playstore

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-combat-mission-alpha-game-playstore.jpg

Earlier in the week we were excited to share a new Droid Landing with you guys, here. Unfortunately, it turned out that it is not a new Droid device, but is instead just a new game in the Google Play Store. The news isn't completely disappointing, as the game looks fairly intriguing. Here's a description taken from the Play Store,

Take control of a giant, augmented-reality wARrior and defend your Turf against all challengers!
MULTIPLAYER ARCADE ACTION
Challenge friends to thrilling, fast-paced battles. Swipe with your finger to launch guided missiles at your opponent. Tap incoming missiles to shoot them down with your lasers.
AUGMENTED REALITY (AR)
Reveal a secret world of giant DRIOD wARriors with your phone’s camera. See the opponents in your vicinity and challenge them to battle. Find hundreds of hidden weapons, ammo, and accessories nearby to power your DROID wARrior.
SOCIAL
Connect with friends via Facebook. Share your achievements with your friends and Twitter followers.

AR CAMERA
Snap pictures of your DROID wARrior towering over your location. Pose, position, and scale any way you like. Share through Facebook, Twitter, or email.
REWARDING SKILL SYSTEM
Gain Turf with every battle. Level up to become taller and even more powerful.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR WARRIOR
Choose from several wARrior types. Paint your wARrior with custom skins. Equip it with hundreds of different weapons, ammo types, and accessories.
IN-APP PURCHASES
Download DRIOD Combat for free, but you have the option to purchase special mods to customize your wARrior.
Some features in Droid Combat require an Internet connection.
www.droiddoes.com/dcom
@droidlanding
By downloading this game, you agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and the License Agreement
DROID COMBAT END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT - MunkyFun Inc.

While we would have been understandably more excited by a new Droid smartphone, perhaps this game can whittle away some time until the next Droid Landing really is a new device...

Source: Google Play Store - Droid Combat - Mission Alpha

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
I really thought the Droid marketing was going to fizzle out. Droid DNA didnt really seem to be a stunning as the Bionic campaign. With the disaster of Droid 3 and Droid 4 still on life support its interesting to see where Verizon goes with it. Honestly the last real Droid to me was the Bionic.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I really thought the Droid marketing was going to fizzle out. Droid DNA didnt really seem to be a stunning as the Bionic campaign. With the disaster of Droid 3 and Droid 4 still on life support its interesting to see where Verizon goes with it. Honestly the last real Droid to me was the Bionic.

The Bionic was such a bust. The original RAZR actually had some good sales from their marketing. Motorola really dropped the ball on the second generation models.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It was a great campaign to launch Android. But I think as mfrs have realized the folly of multiple variants of multiple devices, VZW struggles to get exclusivity with high-end devices. Why pay a premium for exclusivity when it doesn't generate any ROI for VZW? Remember, we're now pretty deep into the mass market, and those are typically more value-oriented consumers.

At this point, time to pull the plug on the Droid brand. I don't know if VZW or Moto is to blame, but it's lost any real brand recognition/mass appeal. VZW could have cashed-in by keeping it a strong brand such that mfrs would WANT to be a Droid exclusive, but then VZW started slapping the Droid brand on like half their phones and diluted the value of the brand.