Droid 1 vs Droid X or newer? Would I gain many advantages?

camaro2010

Reaction score
My wife and I both purchased our Droid 1 phones on January 7 of 2010. Hard to believe that they are barely a year old, and already seem outdated, we have to pull the batteries out at least 3 times a week. Hers will no longer play videos, for some reason, we are looking into an I pad or galaxy tablet PC, and considering the X for that reason, ( mobile hotspot) but other than that would we really be much happier with an X? \

Any other ideas, we got our 11 year old daughter the Samsung Fascinate, I kinda like it, but it seems a little fragile, and girly for me, ??

Any other ideas, or suggestions, neither phone is rooted, as I have no Friggin idea how to do that, lol

GDP

Reaction score
Processor speed is twice as fast, camera is on a whole different level, screen is bigger although it looks similar, and the wifi hotspot is really convenient. It is quite a step up from the droid 1, but there will be a bunch of new phones coming out soon that will be a step above the X

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

jhoop03

Reaction score
I have the X and wife has Droid 1. While I absolutely love my X (rooted w/ Liberty Rom) I would suggest just doing a factory reset to speed your droids back up. Root them and download "Wireless Tether" from the market. Rooting is very easy on a Droid, a quick search will explain everything you need to know. Then upgrade once the LTE devices hit the market.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
C

camaro2010

Reaction score
Stupid ??'s

What is Tapatalk?
Will factory reset erase all my info, and contacts?
What is wireless tether?
Will the droid one benefit from updates on the LTE market?

I have been reading about some of the new 4G phones getting ready to be released in May and June, but not sure what the heck to do. Guess if I mess up my phone, I am meant to get a new one? LOL

If I do root my phone, what are the greatest benefits gained?

We dont even use the slide out keyboards, dang phone is heavy too.

jhoop03

Reaction score
Stupid ??'s

What is Tapatalk?
Will factory reset erase all my info, and contacts?
What is wireless tether?
Will the droid one benefit from updates on the LTE market?

I have been reading about some of the new 4G phones getting ready to be released in May and June, but not sure what the heck to do. Guess if I mess up my phone, I am meant to get a new one? LOL

If I do root my phone, what are the greatest benefits gained?

We dont even use the slide out keyboards, dang phone is heavy too.

1. Tapatalk is a forum app that you can get in the Market. Great app.
2. Yes, a factory reset wipes all info and the phone will be just like when you turned it on the first time. However all your contacts should be backed up via Gmail so when you sign in they will sync back to the phone, and any apps you have installed from the Market will be reinstalled.
3. Wireless tether is an app that allows you to connect a laptop or other wifi device to use your phones internet service. This requires root access.
4. No. The Droid 1 and the Droid X will not benefit from LTE because they don't have the hardware. LTE is 4g for Verizon. Only the newer phones coming out will benefit, such as the Droid Bionic

Hope this helps you :)

OP
C

camaro2010

Reaction score
Got it, I did some more reading, and downloaded a few of the zipped files, for rooting, but apparently, my computer will not load the recovery spr files, cannot find the program to run it.... so , i gave up on rooting for now, not to mention, back up assistant does not work on the droid 1. And my contacts are not saved to G mail to my knowledge. I have never saved them there. So i cant do the factory reset until I know my contacts are safe. Tried going through verizons site to do it, and there is nothing on the market either for such programs. So im a little frustrated with this whole process already. Ready to hit craigslist, and look for a different phone, or just throw this one out in the snow banks outside.

jhoop03

Reaction score
I've been there before lol. As far as the contacts go all you have to do is sign into Gmail on your computer and you can click Contacts and it will list what you have saved. This should have been set up to automatically backup when you first set up your phone.

Check out this site then download Z4root from the Market, but if you are going to do factory reset, do it before you root.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
The Droid X is a SUPER phone. Of the three android phones I have, it is *by far* my favorite. It's big and fast and once you root it, there are many fine roms and themes to choose from. More than anything else, I love the size of the screen - 4.3 inches just seems perfect. :)

My two cents worth...

-Mike