Download / Upload Speed Test

retmotor

Reaction score
Using speedtest.net, at the house I'm getting an average of:

Download 65 kbps
Upload 73 kbps

Does this seem more that a little slow?

The phone will usually show 3G and 1-4 bars. Sometimes though, it'll show 1x and sometimes it'll show no service where other Verizon phones are showing 2-4 bars. I've had to reboot the phone several times to get it to recognize service. It will shut itself off as many as 6 times a day for no reason that I can see. I've only had the phone 3 days. And I'm quite frustrated with the download/upload speed.

Lately I've started reprogramming it with *228 [1] and [2]. When I do this the phone seems to hang onto the service better for maybe 20 minutes before it starts showing "no service".

skourg3

Reaction score
I did a speed test at a friends house earlier. On 3G I got 1361kbps down and 414kbps up. I've had no issues with service; it's always been comparable to what I've had on my old phones (which were also Verizon). Unless you have an app or setting that is interfering with it, I would say take it to a Verizon store and ask them.

Also, are you trying *228 at home or somewhere else? If your signal is dropping at home, try doing it some place where you have at least a constant signal.

conman50

Reaction score
i went to speedtest.net i want to test my speed and ill tell you what i get, how did you do it though, did you use the iphone app?

OP
R

retmotor

Reaction score
Thanks, I was doing the reprogramming at home. I'll try that.

I tested the phone on mobilespeedtest.com and got much better results when I had four bars,, over 400 kbps. While it was still showing 3G, the bars went to 1, and I was back in the 100 kbps neighborhood. Maybe that's how it works, I don't know but it seems odd I get four bars sometimes and no bars other times without so much as moving from my chair, especially considering none of the other Verizon phones that have been in this house had this problem.

OP
R

retmotor

Reaction score
i went to speedtest.net i want to test my speed and ill tell you what i get, how did you do it though, did you use the iphone app?

Ah, there was a free app for speedtest.net I downloaded from the Market Place. It worked part of the time and locked up or froze other times so I've since uninstalled it.

OP
R

retmotor

Reaction score
So there was a problem with that phone. It frequently rebooted itself. The new one is better, but I still go from 3 bars on 3G to no bars, all while not moving. Weird, huh? The Verizon tech didn't understand it.

civEX

Reaction score
Just ran my speed test and I got:
on 3G

1st time:
Download= 1531 kbps
Upload= 294 kbps

2nd time:
Download= 1818 kbps
Upload= 241 kbps

3rd time:
Download= 1119 kbps
Uplaod= 558 kbps

cyber3d

Reaction score
FWIW, As I sit here with my Droid 6.05Mbps download and 1.04Mbps upload, ping 42ms. Los Angeles, CA server. My wi-fi is Verizon FIOS.

I don't recall getting better than 2 Mbps upload, but I often get 10Mbps download. Depends on where I located in the house.

BTW, you can change the unit measure from kbps to Mbps through the settings option in SpeedTest.net app.

OP
R

retmotor

Reaction score
Hmm. Well I've been thinking about a signal booster or wi-fi for the house. Maybe that's what I need to do. Wi-fi would be a lot cheaper but I see Wilson has a signal booster that can be used in the house or in the car. That would be handy on trips.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Please only post the actual 3g connections..... posting up your wireless speed is useless info.

Here is mine.
1st
1266 down
691 up
161 ms ping

2nd
2015 down
857 up
120 ms ping

3rd
1337 down
774 up
99 ms ping

:)

Reaction score
Just to try to help clarify these results for you guys, there is a difference between KBps and kbps, it's 8 fold.

KBps=KiloBytes per second
kbps=Kilobits per second

1 KiloByte = 8 kilobits

Speed tests will ALWAYS show kilobits/sec or megabits/sec because it looks faster. What you have to do to get the actual speed most things will show you downloading at (such as firefox, utorrent, etc) is divide by 8.

If I ran the speed test on my phone and got 1600kbps, that means it's at 200KB/s. Same thing with upload.

Also, same thing for your home network. If it states 20mb/s, that means the max you'll ever get is 2.5MB/s.

cyber3d

Reaction score
Just to try to help clarify these results for you guys, there is a difference between KBps and kbps, it's 8 fold.

KBps=KiloBytes per second
kbps=Kilobits per second

1 KiloByte = 8 kilobits

Speed tests will ALWAYS show kilobits/sec or megabits/sec because it looks faster. What you have to do to get the actual speed most things will show you downloading at (such as firefox, utorrent, etc) is divide by 8.

If I ran the speed test on my phone and got 1600kbps, that means it's at 200KB/s. Same thing with upload.

Also, same thing for your home network. If it states 20mb/s, that means the max you'll ever get is 2.5MB/s.

I see what you are saying. Looking at he settings on speedtest it shows kbps, Mbps and kB/s.
so 10Mbps really = 1.25MB/s = 1,280 kB/s = 10,240kbps.

BTW, I use Unit Converter from Mathpad Software - in the Market