Does the Droid 4 support USB OTG?

OP
W

wwdroid

Reaction score
So you are saying your Droid 4 DOES support USB OTG?

I should have mentioned in the first post that I have bought 2 separate "USB OTG" cables...probably the same as yours, but neither of them work.

--

Thanks...

K1ick

Reaction score
I can confirm that it does work however you need to use an external power source to power the USB device that you are trying to hook up to your phone.this is the one that I have, you have to plug in your phone charger into the female micro usb connection and then the male micro usb connection into your phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009YPYORM/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

OP
W

wwdroid

Reaction score
I can confirm that it does work however you need to use an external power source to power the USB device that you are trying to hook up to your phone.this is the one that I have, you have to plug in your phone charger into the female micro usb connection and then the male micro usb connection into your phone.

Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Samsung i9100 i9300 i9220 i9250 by AtomicMarket:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

OK...thanks...bought it.

So you are saying that even with something as simple as a thumb drive, the Droid 4 still needs it to be externally powered?

K1ick

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, but I think you might need to be rooted. There's an app on the Play Store called USB OTG Helper (root) that I use and it works really well. I'm not sure if you can still use the cable without the app/root but it makes it a lot easier, especially to mount the usb drive to view its files

OP
W

wwdroid

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, but I think you might need to be rooted. There's an app on the Play Store called USB OTG Helper (root) that I use and it works really well. I'm not sure if you can still use the cable without the app/root but it makes it a lot easier, especially to mount the usb drive to view its files

I got the cable...that "USB Host Diagnostics" app from the Play Store says that the USB is recognized (I plugged in a thumb drive), but I can't access it? When I open a file manager type app (I've tried 3), the thumb drive does not show up. So maybe, like you said, rooting IS necessary.

May I ask how you did your root?

Thanks...

K1ick

Reaction score
I believe you need an app to actually mount the usb drive to your phone. That is where rooting may become necessary. You can try to find an app that can mount it without root however if you want to root your phone there should be a good guide on this forum to root the droid 4. Ill edit this post when I find one.

Here a link to rooting the Droid 4 on Jellybean. Its got a lot of more information as it is all about the Droid 4 jellybean update, but just go down to the section about rooting. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/239333-complete-jellybean-thread.html