Disable email notification and text notification but keep ringer while I'm sleeping??

Msherpa

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid and I was wondering if anybody is aware of an app which will allow me to disable the email notification sounds and text message sounds while I'm sleeping but KEEP the ringer? I get a lot of email from subscriptions in the middle of the night. I found an app called Timeriffic but it disables the ringer along with the notifcation sounds...

I'm looking for a free alternative and something which will be more convenient than manually changing these options when I go to sleep and wake up!!

dkelly701

Reaction score
The app Sound Manager is a free and simple way to do that. It even has a way to set a schedule to do it for you automatically. Just make sure in the Android settings that you have the ringer and notifications set to operate separately.

Last edited:
OP
M

Msherpa

Reaction score
The app Sound Manager is a free and simply way to do that. It even has a way to set a schedule to do it for you automatically. Just make sure in the Android settings that you have the ringer and notifications set to operate separately.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!!! :icon_ banana:

navdoc1110

Reaction score
I love the app bedtime..it does this and is a dimmed nightime clock as well...you can wake up to pandora that streams as your alarm if you have appalarm installed

achiappanza

Reaction score
I just downloaded Sound Manager, but it looks like the procedure to unlink these two sounds is covered without it. From their FAQ:

By default, Android treats the Ringer and Notification sounds as one audio stream. When you change ringer, it automatically changes the notification volume. To change this, go to your home screen, press Menu and choose Settings. Choose Sound & display. Then choose Ringer volume. Deselect the check box labeled "Use incoming call volume for notifications". Now Sound Manager is able to treat the two volumes as completely separate. This can be extremely helpful if, like me, you want to turn down email and IM sounds (like at night, when you want to sleep) but want to keep the ringer volume up in case someone needs to call you.
----
The new OS of the Droid separates Sound and Display, but otherwise this is right on. I think the only thing I'll need Sound Manager for is if I want to set schedules.

DefAntNJ

Reaction score
The Sound Manager does not separate out the Ringer Volume and the Notification Volume. I move one the other moves as well. The system Settings does not provide a "NO RINGER" for the Notification Ringtone.

Also - it doesn't provide an option on the Droid X to deselect or select "Use incoming call volume for notifications" like you said achiappanza. I just got my DX yesterday and it's probably still updating or whatever but you also have a DX... :(

I need to disable Ringtones for email/txt notifications since I want it to be quiet when i'm at work. However I still need the Ringer volume. I will try a schedule. Conflicting schedules on the Sound Manager only provides for the Ringer Volume over the Notification Volume. Meaning I can't disable notification volume at 9am, enable at 5pm. enable ringer at 8am, disable ringer at 11pm

Found a way to disable Email ringtone notification but not text messages :(

I ended up using the facebook pop ringtone for now. Thanks for sharing sound manager for scheduling.

Last edited:

DefAntNJ

Reaction score
AudioGuru. Free in the Market. Enjoy.

Awesome app. So much better then sound manager. Let's you split the ringer and notification volumes!

Thanks google123

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

eaglehockeyfan

Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow email notification to be disabled, but allow both text and phone ringer to continue? I don't like getting email notifications during the night, but would like to continue to receive text notifications as well as phone calls.

rdiggity123

Reaction score
K9 email has a quiet period range that you can set. During the range it won't alert or flash the led.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

eaglehockeyfan

Reaction score
Thank you, that works perfectly. Now if only I can figure out how to have the LED display still work when I get new mail. I seem to only get it to work if I have the sound notification on at the same time. In any event, this is a much better solution.