Direct Dial Shortcut is nice!

RTracer

Reaction score
Just found the Direct Dial shortcut, its great for those that you call a lot.
one touch dialing

OP
R

RTracer

Reaction score
If you long press on one of your home pages it brings up the options to add widgets, shortcuts, folders ect.
If you select shortcuts, one of the shortcut options is called direct dial.
After you selelct direct dial, it brings up your contact list.
Pick a contact and it adds an icon to your homepage of that contact.

Touch the icon and it will immediately dial that contact.

No need to hit contact, search for that contact, select that contact, touch call that contact :)

Boat

Reaction score
If you long press on one of your home pages it brings up the options to add widgets, shortcuts, folders ect.
If you select shortcuts, one of the shortcut options is called direct dial.
After you selelct direct dial, it brings up your contact list.
Pick a contact and it adds an icon to your homepage of that contact.

Touch the icon and it will immediately dial that contact.

No need to hit contact, search for that contact, select that contact, touch call that contact :)

I've created folders, named them "work", "family", "vendors", etc. and dragged respective direct dials into them. Keeps the desktop uncluttered!

samredman

Reaction score
Yes, this is a great feature... very powerful. But remember with great power comes risk (and the need for great responsibility)...

I have about four frequently called people. I created four direct dial tabs and put them at the top of my home screen. Well, they are amazing if they are used purposefully, but when they are touched accidentally... well, they call just the same... and just as rapidly, just as instantly.

Strange how many times I accidentally brushed those direct dial icons (somehow my thumb seemed to hit just the one I didn't want to be calling right then... like at two in the morning). So.. I moved them off to another screen... way off on the right screen, so that I do have to go through one deliberate motion prior to selecting the one I wish to call.

samredman

Reaction score
And let me add one more thing... new post because it describes an app.

Similar to the problem I described about the unwanted call is the showing the call log after you have completed a call and then accidentally recalling someone you called earlier because you put the phone in your pocket with that darned call log on the screen.. well download a free app called "not call log." Just seach the market for those words.

This fixes a flaw in the UI which will most likely be corrected in the upcoming update... but, til then you will have the peace of mind of not having that call log show after you complete a phone call. A call I made four hours ago that I then remake when I'm in a situation to which that earlier recipient couldn't relate... well you get the idea. This solves all those problems.

drd1109

Reaction score
it is very cool....i also use the bookmark and gps shortcuts...have all shortcuts in one folder.

shane1v

Reaction score

Similar to the problem I described about the unwanted call is the showing the call log after you have completed a call and then accidentally recalling someone you called earlier because you put the phone in your pocket with that darned call log on the screen.. well download a free app called "not call log." Just seach the market for those words.

This fixes a flaw in the UI which will most likely be corrected in the upcoming update... but, til then you will have the peace of mind of not having that call log show after you complete a phone call. A call I made four hours ago that I then remake when I'm in a situation to which that earlier recipient couldn't relate... well you get the idea. This solves all those problems.

THANK you. This "bringing up the call log after a call" I just did not GET!!

Im getting this app now

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
This info was a great help! Thanks

volando

Reaction score
But remember with great power comes risk (and the need for great responsibility)...

Master yoda, perhaps you can put those shortcuts on a separate screen. I keep my most used apps on the default one, less used on the right one and all the direct-dial, direct-urls and direct-navigation things on the left. That way you're much much less likely to press things on the main screen.

shane1v

Reaction score

Works, thank you! But I wish it would also close the folder I created to hold the Direct Dials I created. Ill try reching the apps maker about it

lorenzo

Reaction score
How can I delete the contacts i added.
Its verry difficult to scroll the contact list without accidently adding a contact.
Tks so much

DroidFan

Reaction score
I have about four frequently called people. I created four direct dial tabs and put them at the top of my home screen. Well, they are amazing if they are used purposefully, but when they are touched accidentally... well, they call just the same... and just as rapidly, just as instantly.

I did this by accident as well, so I put my direct dial short cuts on one of the "side" home screens, rather than the default, middle home screen, so I have to make a concerted effort to access those shortcuts and it cut down on the accidental dialing.

Wiil this work using the speakerphone ?

Yes...once you dial the number you want (or use the shortcut direct dial) and the dial screen comes up, just hit the "Speaker" button in the bottom right-hand corner.