dialler annoyances

toomanyhandles

Reaction score
Hi all;

I see a couple things with a basic function-- making calls-- that cause me problems.

- when I make a call from contacts, hit send.
- the screen goes black, even if I do not hold the phone to my ear. This makes it a pain to enter codes for voicmail or follow menu prompts for whatever place I am calling. Black screen, hit button to turn screen on,press the driller button again so I have dallier keys.... oh and then I missed what the call was telling me as I had the phone away from my ear.

_ just before the screen goes black as above, the last thing on the screen is not the number I just dialled, but the number of the _previous call_. Making you think you dialled the wrong number.

Any fixes? Thanks!

Reaction score
I had the same problem regarding mine and my wife's d2g. Each time we would go to make a call, the screen would go black and the only way to get the keypad back up was to hit the power button on top. Received 2 replacement phones. So far, I have swapped mine out and the replacement is working the way it should. Display stays on when I make or receive a call. Makes it so much easier as my work, I have to enter a code when I call in. So sounds like you may need a replacement.

OP
T

toomanyhandles

Reaction score
I had the same problem regarding mine and my wife's d2g. Each time we would go to make a call, the screen would go black and the only way to get the keypad back up was to hit the power button on top. Received 2 replacement phones. So far, I have swapped mine out and the replacement is working the way it should. Display stays on when I make or receive a call. Makes it so much easier as my work, I have to enter a code when I call in. So sounds like you may need a replacement.

wow. This dialer thing seemed completely like a software issue, I was looking for a config tip or a known bug.

What did you tell VZ that gave you a hardware replacement?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Was originally having issues with the phone freezing up. I then asked tech support if there was any settings to make the keypad stay lit when making a call. Told them that as soon as I press the call button, the screen would go black immediately. Went thru all the settings and after doing a factory reset it was still the same way. They determined that it was an issue with the phone and overnighted me 2 phones.

crumbete

Reaction score
wow. This dialer thing seemed completely like a software issue, I was looking for a config tip or a known bug.

It is a software config issue. At least, it should be. Settings, Call Settings, and scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Show Dialpad. I have it set on Service Numbers only, and when i call any service numbers, if i pull the phone from my ear the dialpad pops up. It does not do it on any other calls.

You can customize this to do it on all calls, or only certain calls. It's flexible.

OP
T

toomanyhandles

Reaction score

It is a software config issue. At least, it should be. Settings, Call Settings, and scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Show Dialpad. I have it set on Service Numbers only, and when i call any service numbers, if i pull the phone from my ear the dialpad pops up. It does not do it on any other calls.

You can customize this to do it on all calls, or only certain calls. It's flexible.

Thanks for the replies.
The problem is more that the display turns off as the call connects, even if I have not held the phone to my ear. the last thing it displays before it turns off is the _previous_ number called, as well, which doesn't help. to get the screen back (whether dialpad or in-call display) I have to hit the power button.

I did change this dialpad setting though, so that is shows for all calls for now, but the screen still blanks as soon as the call connects.

I'm going to uninstall the couple apps I have in place (juicedefender, atk) in case one of them is doing something silly, but I don't see any settings yet that would make them involved.

leobg

Reaction score
Do you have a case or screen protector? Check if they are obstructing the proximity sensor on the left side of the ear piece. If proximity sensor is covered by something, phone will turn off the screen as soon as you dial a number.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Before I got my replacement, I went thru the settings for show dialpad on all calls. Would still go blank screen as soon as I hit the green phone icon. I also had a clear screen protector on that I removed as well, and the problem still occurred. I tried rebooting the phone numerous times and still same issue. Once I got my replacement, the screen stays on when I am holding it in my hands in front of me. If I place it to my ear, it goes black but pops back on as soon as I remove it from my ear. So in my case, it was a hardware issue. Hope you are able to find a solution for yours, either software or hardware like in my case.

Cheruvim

Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem where when I call voice mail or need to use the dialer while in a call, the screen goes blank. I find that if I tap on the text field above the dialer that there is a high chance of a more successful read. Maybe there is a race condition going on where event listeners from the proximity sensor and the text field are trying to access or read from the same input source, thus sometimes when you press the button the proximity sensor has focus, and the screen goes blank, or the text field has focus and the number gets "read."

So, I try and "guess" when the proximity sensor is listening and tap the text field to give it focus and try and tap the number quickly afterward... because focus might be shifting between the two, the number is not always successfully read and the screen goes blank. I hope they come up with a patch soon.. Who makes the dialer? can we contact them?