deleting duplicate ringtone

Droyd

Reaction score
I goofed and downloaded the same ringtone twice. How can I delete one of them?

OP
D

Droyd

Reaction score
Bueller...........Bueller...........Bueller...............Anyone??? There has to be a way to get rid of a ringtone in your list. HELP!!!

gtracerh

Reaction score
I had the same problem. In my case I had downloaded one of those "star wars sounds" apps and had set the r2d2 sound as a ringtone twice by mistake. I managed to delete one of them manually and then was left with the second "r2d2" file listed as a ringtone but it didn't play any sound. I tried playing with all the settings but couldn't manage to erase it. Eventually I just uninstalled the app and the ringtone name disappeared.
I dont know if that helps you any though. Good luck. Let me know if you figure it out.

OP
D

Droyd

Reaction score
I had the same problem. In my case I had downloaded one of those "star wars sounds" apps and had set the r2d2 sound as a ringtone twice by mistake. I managed to delete one of them manually and then was left with the second "r2d2" file listed as a ringtone but it didn't play any sound. I tried playing with all the settings but couldn't manage to erase it. Eventually I just uninstalled the app and the ringtone name disappeared.
I dont know if that helps you any though. Good luck. Let me know if you figure it out.

Please tell me how you were able to delete one of them, as I can't figure it out. Thanks.

gtracerh

Reaction score
Well, I don't remember exactly. But I probably went into my file manager app (I use Astro). Im sure you could use any File Manager App. Look for the folder that has the ringtone which you want to delete. then delete it. Im assuming you have a file manager. If not, maybe that was the reason you had a hard time deleting it. Get one and see if that works for you.

hughesjr

Reaction score
I had a similar problem ... which I created myself.

I had unzipped a copy of the system directory in a working area on my sdcard to copy some files off and look at them.

What I figured out was that if the exact same ringtone files appear more than one time on your phone (in seperate directories), then they will show up more than one time.

The type of files that are called out as ringtones and notifications are .ogg files, so here is what I did to find my duplicates.

You can use this command either in adb shell OR from a terminal emulator:

cd /
find . -name '*.ogg'

This will find all ogg files on your machine ... you can then figure out which ones you want to delete and remove them.

If you have never rooted your phone (to make /system writeable), then you can only search for .ogg files on the /sdcard directory and remove any files that show up more than once (as they are also in /system).