Delayed voicemail notifications on my Pixel

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I have a Google Pixel with an unlocked boot loader but not currently rooted. I'm on Verizon and running Android 8.1.0. When I get a new voice mail it takes hours before the phone notifies me. If I'm expecting a call and poll by opening the phone app and switching to the VM tab I see the pending voice mail. Otherwise, the notification shows up in the evening, hours after the call. I spent quite a long time chatting with a Verizon support technician without resolving the issue. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Thanks. That's a great idea but those directions don't work. They really can't have ever been right because the Pixel doesn't _have_ a Home button.

just read the instructions myself. took for granted that it was right. sorry about that. just looked at several different sites and they all say press home button within the instructions. then I ran a cross a bunch of other sites that says wiping cache can no longer be done with the pixel. It can be confusing at times.

anyway go to your phone app and delete the app cache there

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Clearing the cache for the phone app didn't help. :-( Cleared cache, had my wife leave a VM, no notification, wait a few minutes, open Phone app, go to VM tab, immediate notification of a new VM. Clear again and reboot. Still no improvement.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Clearing the cache for the phone app didn't help. :-( Cleared cache, had my wife leave a VM, no notification, wait a few minutes, open Phone app, go to VM tab, immediate notification of a new VM. Clear again and reboot. Still no improvement.

sorry, just realized I asked you to do something you already done. are you using visual voicemail? if so, check and see if notifications are turned on there. also, maybe try another voicemail app from the play store and see if it works.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
A new voice mail app didn't help.

Just for grins, I navigated to the Phone app's notification configuration to verify it was correct. There is a switch for the Notification Dot (enabled). The rest (including Voicemails) are on appear greyed out so I couldn't turn them off if I wanted to. Except when I touch the label, it opens a set of switches including Vibrate, Blink light, and Override Do Not Disturb. The last was off and I wonder if there isn't some bad interaction between WearOS (which suppresses notifications if the phone can see my watch) and VM. I turned on the Override and will try again.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What do you mean by interference between watch & phone? Do you have "Silence phone while wearing watch" enabled in the Wear OS app?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
A new voice mail app didn't help.

Just for grins, I navigated to the Phone app's notification configuration to verify it was correct. There is a switch for the Notification Dot (enabled). The rest (including Voicemails) are on appear greyed out so I couldn't turn them off if I wanted to. Except when I touch the label, it opens a set of switches including Vibrate, Blink light, and Override Do Not Disturb. The last was off and I wonder if there isn't some bad interaction between WearOS (which suppresses notifications if the phone can see my watch) and VM. I turned on the Override and will try again.

That didn't help, either.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's possible that you have an app / apps and / or app Settings interfering with the stock Verizon Voice Mail app. I'm not sure if the Pixel phones have a Safe Mode option, but if they do you could boot into Safe Mode > have someone call & leave you a voicemail and see if you are notified instantly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
was just doing a bit of research and it look like a lot of users is having the same problem. one solution that seems to help some (not all)

From where you make calls tap the three dots to the right of the search bar, tap settings, tap voicemail, turn visual voicemail on then back off