Damaged SD card... need to reformat???

weaz

Reaction score
The gallery app was loading pictures very slowly, so I pulled my battery and pulled out the SD card just to see if anything looked funny. It didn't, so I put it back.

Now, when I boot up, I get a notification telling me that my SD card is damaged and I may need to reformat.

Anyone seen this before? If I reformat my SD card... what am I going to lose?

Thanks!

OP
W

weaz

Reaction score
OK, well this is great. I like Android reformat the SD card... and it's still "damaged".

Will VZW replace the SD card, or am I going to have to shell out for one?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
did you unmount the sd card in settings before you pulled it out? do you "see" any damage on it that you may have caused putting it in? that's the questions they'll probably ask you. good luck that really sucks

OP
W

weaz

Reaction score
did you unmount the sd card in settings before you pulled it out? do you "see" any damage on it that you may have caused putting it in? that's the questions they'll probably ask you. good luck that really sucks

Nope, sure didn't unmount it. Is that a no no?

In the meantime, I've got it to recognize my card again by not sliding it 100% of the way into the slot. Unfortunately it's already been formatted and my data was wiped.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

In the meantime, I've got it to recognize my card again by not sliding it 100% of the way into the slot. Unfortunately it's already been formatted and my data was wiped.

well when i didn't unmount my sd card....my phone didn't recognize it so i'd say yes it's a no no lol. its in settings..sd card & phone storage. just FYI for next time. sorry you lost all your data:(

OP
W

weaz

Reaction score

well when i didn't unmount my sd card....my phone didn't recognize it so i'd say yes it's a no no lol. its in settings..sd card & phone storage. just FYI for next time. sorry you lost all your data:(

Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks for the help!

jdparsons1

Reaction score
For those of you that have a corrupt SD card, here's what i did. Pulled the SD card out of the Droid and put it into an SD adapter and plugged into a Windows pc. It will most likely prompt you to run a scandisk on the device because it sees there is a problem. I did the scandisk and it fixed problems and then the card worked fine on my Droid with no loss of data. Just a note... before I ran the scandisk i looked in Windows explorer and i was able to see the files so i made a quick backup of things i didn't want to lose like camera pics and other data, just in case scandisk hosed the filesystem. :)

Does anyone know if fsck works on the Droid with busybox?

dkelly701

Reaction score
Had this same issue. Took my phone to Verizon and they swapped my card with another card from a phone in the return bin and no trouble since.

Sdiord

Reaction score
VZW refuse to replace SD card

I had the same issue like everyone else. I was using my Droid at an airport and everything was fine before I shutoff my phone for the flight to take off. I turned it back on once the plane reached cruising altitude. I got an indicator that my SD card was damaged, which makes no absolutely no sense.

Anway, I tried to backup my files by placing the SD card into an adapter and insert it into my laptop and to my horror my laptop can not access the files on the SD card due to I/O error. I search the forums and found a free software called Zero Assumption Recovery. It took my laptop 12 hours to run a full scan and ZAR allows me to access and recover all but 3 mp3 files. I backed up all the files into my laptop, then follow Kelly's advice and went a Verizon store and see if they will replaced my SD card. They did an analysis and confirmed that the card was bad and needs to be reformatted. Contrary to what Kelly claims, VZW will not replace the card because it is accessory and the phone works fine without it. The tech told me that I will have to go through SanDisk 866-SAN-DISK to file a warranty claim, if I want a replacement. He also informed me that San Disk will warrant the SD card for up to 5 years. Anyway, he reformatted my SD card and I restored all the files back to my Droid. So far so good.

gixxerboy

Reaction score
yea mine did the same thing just formatted it and it has worked 100% since