Damaged SD card??

phreakaj

Reaction score
I went to change batteries earlier and before i did my sd card was fine, changed the battery and came up SD card damaged. Chose not to reformat and checked the card in my computer and everything was working fine. Put another card in the phone , it worked fine. Replaced card that said damaged and it still says damaged. Any ideas on what may cause this behavior???
BTW I was able to make a backup of the card on my comp after phone said it was damaged. does anything involved with rooting the phone used from the sd card or are all the programs i used saved/ran from the int mem.????

kountryj

Reaction score
i had the same problem. for whatever reason my sd card decided to die on me. just make a back up on your computer of your files on there. i took mine to the local store and since it was still under the 30 day warranty they replaced it with one of the ones they had there. not out of the phone packaging, but one of the 59.99 ones. haven't had a problem since.

OP
P

phreakaj

Reaction score
will this cause any probs with rooting or are all those files and helper apps stored on the phone mem?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
no your phone will still be exactly the same...just minus the music/pictures/ etc., the root files have already been installed to the actual phone. As long as you backed up your card on the computer, you can still save your media files too so you should be good...

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I went to change batteries earlier and before i did my sd card was fine, changed the battery and came up SD card damaged. Chose not to reformat and checked the card in my computer and everything was working fine. Put another card in the phone , it worked fine. Replaced card that said damaged and it still says damaged. Any ideas on what may cause this behavior???
BTW I was able to make a backup of the card on my comp after phone said it was damaged. does anything involved with rooting the phone used from the sd card or are all the programs i used saved/ran from the int mem.????

are you doing any large data xfers routinely back and forth from the droid? I notice that after copying seasons of voyager I converted for the droid (these are like 8gb folders) that windows will start popping up saying possible damage and it wants to scan. I popped the sd into an adapter and let windows do scan and sector scan... 0 problems found and the error message went away. It could be just cheap micro sd chips and large amounts of data IO is wearing them out.

OP
P

phreakaj

Reaction score
No large transfers. The last transfer a few days before the damage was the backup I made. It is the stock card that came with the phone. What kind of quality are the stock cards??

DroidDoc

Reaction score
just occurred to me this morning, currently copying files to computer but interestingly get error when try to copy the "Naked" skin for Beautiful Widgets and did just update that app yesterday and haven't re-booted since. Related? Don't know, still investigating. Was glad to see I could still Mount the card and copy files over to computer though. Might try to re-format the card when done and see if that works, might I suppose . . .

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem. for whatever reason my sd card decided to die on me. just make a back up on your computer of your files on there. i took mine to the local store and since it was still under the 30 day warranty they replaced it with one of the ones they had there. not out of the phone packaging, but one of the 59.99 ones. haven't had a problem since.
If your SD card goes bad in the first year they will replace it under warranty.

Thankfully you can back up your card, a good friend of mine lost everything on is SD card recently with his Droid.

DroidDoc

Reaction score
FYI, finished transfer of files from SD to computer, still got error with a file in the "NakedDroid" skin folder under "Beautiful Widgets" -> "Skins" so just deleted it from the card, unmounted and card now works :icon_ banana:

Reaction score
I found this thread because I just ran into the same problem. However, I am unable to copy anything to the PC because the computer doesn't see the card at all. :(