D4 Battery Case?

AMTrombley0924

Reaction score
I haven't seen any.

If the trend of non-removable batteries sticks around, its certainly a market that should be tapped, seeing as the iPhone has gotten it. I guess how popular/successful the iPhone ones are will determine if making them for more phones will be worth making. I'd definitely buy one for the D4 if they sold one. Beats carrying around an external battery.

OP
K

kenji91

Reaction score
I haven't seen any.

If the trend of non-removable batteries sticks around, its certainly a market that should be tapped, seeing as the iPhone has gotten it. I guess how popular/successful the iPhone ones are will determine if making them for more phones will be worth making. I'd definitely buy one for the D4 if they sold one. Beats carrying around an external battery.

I suppose that's the problem... there just might not be enough D4 users to warrant building one. iPhone 4/4S's vs D4 - what do you think the ratio of ownership is?

Benton

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud ... the inductive charging system(s) available now use a phone back cover that places a charge into the battery via open contacts on the phone body adjacent to the battery. Could a back cover be made that had its own battery built into it that also used these contacts to increase the current battery capacity (two batteries on the phone)? I am not sure of the internal charging circuitry of the D4 but it would seem adding a battery to these internal contacts would essentially be the same as paralleling two batteries to the same load.

gossipninja

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud ... the inductive charging system(s) available now use a phone back cover that places a charge into the battery via open contacts on the phone body adjacent to the battery. Could a back cover be made that had its own battery built into it that also used these contacts to increase the current battery capacity (two batteries on the phone)? I am not sure of the internal charging circuitry of the D4 but it would seem adding a battery to these internal contacts would essentially be the same as paralleling two batteries to the same load.

that makes sense, the issue is the market for d4 specific items is so small I don't think anyone is gonna make a new backcover with battery.

If you could find the polarities, etc of the 4 pins, you could repurpose an inductive cover and a battery cell (and duct tape) and fashion a crude prove of concept.

davidgro

Reaction score
If you could find the polarities, etc of the 4 pins, you could repurpose an inductive cover and a battery cell (and duct tape) and fashion a crude prove of concept.

Perhaps someone who bought an inductive cover could just use a multimeter on the cover's pads when it (not attached to a phone) is on the charger and tell us the pinout.

orange93

Reaction score
I haven't seen any.

I want and inductive battery for the D4, i haven't been able to fine one? i just have the extended battery, its 4000mah and came with the door, it was $16.00, i thought it was a pretty good price, however an inductive battery seems like a great idea, i agree its a great market.

Amazon.com: droid

podspi

Reaction score
I want and inductive battery for the D4, i haven't been able to fine one? i just have the extended battery, its 4000mah and came with the door, it was $16.00, i thought it was a pretty good price, however an inductive battery seems like a great idea, i agree its a great market.

Amazon.com: droid

That's for the BIONIC, not the D4. But something like that would be nice. Sadly I don't have a multimeter, but if I ever pick one up I will get the pin-out, since I've been thinking about something similar.

OP
K

kenji91

Reaction score
That's for the BIONIC, not the D4. But something like that would be nice. Sadly I don't have a multimeter, but if I ever pick one up I will get the pin-out, since I've been thinking about something similar.

Sadly I have the multimeter, but not the inductive cover. :/

gossipninja

Reaction score
Sadly I have the multimeter, but not the inductive cover. :/

the pins should correspond to these, I have both a multimeter and the inductive cover, i just dont know how I would go about finding out which pins are battery temp and battery size.

• GND - Ground
  • BSI - Battery Size Indicator
  • BTemp - Battery temperature
  • VBAT+ - Battery positive terminal

gossipninja

Reaction score
also, the inductive cover "catch" that feeds into the top that "locks" the cover in place, yeah that never worked and just broke, stupid thing.

davidgro

Reaction score
shooting said:
Do you mean the battery door? Like the one in here? If so, there are many on the Internet.

No, that is just a piece of plastic. We mean something with an external battery in it to supplement the non-removable battery that Motorola used to cripple the only decent Android phone with a physical keyboard (at the time anyway, but I think it might still be the only one)

It should be perfectly reasonable to make such a thing, the phone has a square of 4 contacts which the Inductive Charging Cover uses, which should be usable by an external battery.

yaner

Reaction score
I have not seen.If this trend extended use with the built-in battery, it will certainly be welcomed

EastPhilly

Reaction score
Late chime in. But I don't see this happening for the D4 mainly because doing such a thing for a phone with a slide out keyboard is too much work, mainly on the side of stability and ergonomics. It would be too heavy and probably pop off too often. If they did make a full suit case it would eliminate the keyboard (unless you took the case off) making it not be very useful in that regard either.