Curious about differing 4G speeds with SPEEDTEST.NET

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I live in St. Louis and picked up the Bionic on release day. Fantastic phone and outdoes my Droid X in every facet of 'my' use to this point. I'm just curious why, when running SEEDTEST, download and upload speed are slower from a server that's 17 miles away as opposed to various other servers. Case in point. I'm watching the football game with nothing else going on and decided to let the test rip. 5 consecutive tests using 5 servers, results are as follows:

Server Ping Download Upload

Atlanta 107 23312 6530

Grand Forks, ND 101 21813 6814

St. Louis 107 4763 4763

Chicago 119 24946 5692

Memphis 89 22399 8179

Just seems crazy to me that a location in the city in which I live consistently provides the slowest test scores. Can't imagine that we have more per capita 4G LTE users in the St. Louis metro area than some other communities.

Thoughts............

edit: All tests were run with 2 bars on 4G LTE.

Last edited:

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
Not sure about the technical aspects of it. It could be that vzw installed a server in st Louis that they thought would suffice but you all beat their predictions for 4g subscribers.

Sent from 1976 utilizing a 1.21 gigawatt connection. Yes, bionics were around then, they were still just working things out.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
has nothing to do with VZW. it's the bandwidth available at the speedtest.net server (which is actually hosted by a 3rd party). the number of hops to that server, the actual bandwidth the server has etc all have an effect on what the test speed is.

OP
kevsgroove

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
has nothing to do with VZW. it's the bandwidth available at the speedtest.net server (which is actually hosted by a 3rd party). the number of hops to that server, the actual bandwidth the server has etc all have an effect on what the test speed is.

So there's the distinct possibility whomever is running the St. Louis server is doing it on the cheap. Or as Frank Zappa would put it " is that a real server, or a Sears server?"

J_Fedd

Reaction score
Part of the problem could be the Speedtest app. They've been having some issues with the accuracy of results on 4G networks.