Creating Wallpaper

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If I wanted to create wallpaper for my Droid, what pixel dimensions should I use? And at what resolution should I save it? Thanks!

wdprice3

Reaction score
find the best looking/highest res picture you can, preferably slightly wider than tall.
open it using your photo editor (Microsoft Photo Editor works great, if you have MS Office).

resize and crop to 960px wide by 854px tall

JRMDesigner

Reaction score
960px wide by 854px high, but what resolution?

find the best looking/highest res picture you can, preferably slightly wider than tall.
open it using your photo editor (Microsoft Photo Editor works great, if you have MS Office).

resize and crop to 960px wide by 854px tall

Okay. But at what resolution?

Should that be 960px X 854px at standard web resolution of 72ppi, or at some other resolution, like 96ppi, or 300ppi ? Clearly, if the image file is optimized, that'd be best practice to avoid filling up the user's SD card.

[ppi: Pixels Per Inch]

I'm seeing a lot of different sizes for "wallpapers" for the different devices, so it's clear there's no real standard for these. It'd be great if there was a site somewhere with a table listing all the different devices and the different wallpaper sizes suitable for them each, like the IAB lists different standard dimensions for different web ads.

Also: Please forgive these newbie questions, but what's the required or optimum file format? JPEG? PNG? other? Or is there a special file format that'll store multiple different standard wallpapers that'll automagically be accessed by different mobile devices, kind of like Windows .ico files??

JRMDesigner

Reaction score
Erm, well, that's a very nice site, but I think I'd rather create my own wallpapers entirely independently from an online system like that. A reference to the specs all in one place for the various phone models would be very useful.

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score