Cortana Virtual Assistant Confirmed for US Windows Phone in 2014; EU and Asia Later

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cortana-model-scene-in-halo-4.jpg

Here's a follow-up to our previous piece regarding Microsoft's development of a Google Now/Siri-like virtual assistant called Cortana. Supposedly, sources have confirmed that Microsoft is developing Cortana and that she will make her debut first on U.S. Windows Phones in early 2014, and will come to Europe and Asia a bit later.

Screenshot-5-Xero-Twitter.png

It looks like Microsoft is finally leveraging their considerable expertise in voice-recognition to start getting competitive again. With Steve Ballmer leaving Microsoft, perhaps the era of being stuck in just their core Enterprise strategy will finally come to an end, ushering in a new focus on cutting edge innovation and creativity again.

If Microsoft had been running their software division as aggressively as they have their Xbox division over the past few years, then maybe the entire mobile landscape would have looked a bit different. What do you guys think? Is Microsoft on the rise again, or is it too early to tell?

Source: PhoneArena

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
i think it is still too early to tell if they will rise or not, although I would love to have Cortana as my PA!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Lets face it, its going to be a computer sounding voice that is close to the Cortana voice. Even if its the same voice actress, it won't be the same. I doubt there will even be an image of Cortana in any form. They are just getting us nerds all thinking about the possibilities, but it will no doubt be similar to both Google Now and Siri.

nickb34

Reaction score
I agree it's still too early to tell. Even though they are late to the party, I think a Microsoft/Intel combo could take a large portion of the market.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Lets face it, its going to be a computer sounding voice that is close to the Cortana voice. Even if its the same voice actress, it won't be the same. I doubt there will even be an image of Cortana in any form. They are just getting us nerds all thinking about the possibilities, but it will no doubt be similar to both Google Now and Siri.

According to MSFT it won't be anything like Siri or Google Now. They are talking about Cortana being revolutionary NOT evolutionary. We'll see......

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
According to MSFT it won't be anything like Siri or Google Now. They are talking about Cortana being revolutionary NOT evolutionary. We'll see......

A full blown AI, maybe? An actual AI?