Conspiracy theory. Voice Search.

coolbho3000

Reaction score
I love my new droid, but with Task Killer installed, I noticed that voice search is always running. I'm not too worried about the battery drain, but I can't help but think about the surveillance abilities that could severely infringe on our 4th amendment rights. If g**gle, m*t*rola, or veriz*n had the ability to stream and record our phones mic input, I can't even about... well, you get the picture.

Am I crazy? I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but it seems to make sense.

What do you think?

No. Yes, you are crazy. I find it hard to believe you aren't a "conspiracy theorist."

Also, uninstall your task manager. You don't need it.

By the way, the 4th amendment applies to the government, not private corporations. There are privacy laws to prevent this sort of thing, though.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jason Bourne uses prepaid phones.

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
And don't forget that the government can turn on your cell phone camera and watch you through it ;)

eliassami5

Reaction score
I had to register just to add my 2 cents on this topic. And to start up on these forums of course :). Voice Search which is a google app, not google voice (maybe the same app) always comes up onmy running app list when noise is made or someone talks. Try it out, use a task killer and look at running apps after force close of voice search, then talk near your phone and the app will start running.... Maybe this is a feature, or maybe it is listening. This wouldnt be the first time Google had a hidden agenda. It would help there voice recognition software just to have random snippets of your voice in conversation recorded and sent to their database.

Google-411 (1800GOOG411) Googles free number look up service, was only free and created to aquire voice input for there voice recognition software that we are now using. Since everyone has different tones and ways of saying words, they needed a vast database; so everytime you use goog 411 you are recorded and stored in their voice database. Whew ok done

Lol you really dont know how android works do you. Kill the voice search app, put your phone in a place where there is no sound or any sort of noise, wait a couple of seconds and open up task manager and see if voice search has opened back up. And indeed you will find that it has. Its got nothing to do with it probing your convos...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love my new droid, but with Task Killer installed, I noticed that voice search is always running.
Read the task killer threads and threads on how Android works. Voice search is like any other app.

This wouldnt be the first time Google had a hidden agenda.
Google's agenda isn't hidden unless you mistakenly assume that they're some sort of apps and services charity. They're not. Remember what their core business is and how they use data aggregation to help with that business. I'm not particularly worried about Google but even if they're just aggregating data there is the potential for data to end up in the wrong hands. Each person needs to assess the pros and cons and make the call.