Clear layers in Google Maps?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Is there a way to delete unwanted layers in Google Maps? Clear map doesn't do it,nor does clear cache (which is greyed out anyway)and there is no clear data option in the update.
Or a reset layers option?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to delete unwanted layers in Google Maps? Clear map doesn't do it,nor does clear cache (which is greyed out anyway)and there is no clear data option in the update.
Or a reset layers option?

open the menu, select the layers sub-menu, and then select the one(s) you don't want (thus clearing the check)...

Last edited:
OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
This may be obvious to you but I'm just a lowly newb and I've only found the "show more layers " option so far; didn't see any checks. Will look again. Is it one of those press-and-hold things?

ShowTime

Reaction score
In maps, hit menu, then layers. It will give you a list of layers (traffic, satellite, etc) and any you currently have applied will have a green checkmark next to them. Click them again and it will get rid of the checkmark and turn them off on your map view.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
odd, 'Clear Map' doesn't remove your layers? It does on mine (but it didn't use to if memory serves). You may want to check your version. Any 'active' layers should have a green check beside it, selecting the layer again will clear the check. But 'clear maps' should work, less it's something ROM specific but it shouldn't be.

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
OK, got that part, but how do you clear the old layers from the list?

Scribble

Reaction score
You can't.

Well, apparently if you uninstall all the new upgrades and then reinstall it will clear the list, but unfortunately there is no way to just clear the list with a button or something.

Apparently google is aware of the issue and is working on it...

droible

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old (but sadly still relevant) thread.... I can't believe the official google line is "just reinstall every time you want to clear history". This BUG makes layers in google maps all but useless to me now that i've done a number of searches/directions.

Anyway, anybody come up with a better solution for this in the past 6 months? Does froyo somehow magically solve this problem (don't have it for the droidx yet)

OP
PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
It's hit-or-miss here now, some layers go away and some (usually typos) stay forever.
There are also some new layers, and starred places, that I didn't enter… spooky.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DroidSickness

Reaction score
Whats up I read this thread and also had the same problem here is the solution
And what ever you want to keep just go ahead and star and it wont delete those locations.

go to settings-->applications-->manage applications and than go to all apps then look for maps once you find it you will then be asked to proceed to clear data & clear cache which clears all searches AND resets Google Maps to its FACTORY defaults. Make sure you remove all updates.