Charge port

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Getting. New replacement under manufacturer warantee for my charge port cause the cable is wiggling. Anyone else getting this issue?

Also, I'm excited to mess with one that is untouched!!!!

sc 2.9v
honeycomb theme

chattyt

Reaction score
My charge port is messed up too. How did you get a replacement? I rooted and now am unrooted but nervous about bringing it to Verizon...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

ziggy484

Reaction score
My charge port is messed up too. How did you get a replacement? I rooted and now am unrooted but nervous about bringing it to Verizon...

You just want to take a look at your sd card files and make sure there are no clockwork files or folders. Verizon wont know you ever rooted,

Sent from my rooted Froyo Fascinate

fordee11

Reaction score

You just want to take a look at your sd card files and make sure there are no clockwork files or folders. Verizon wont know you ever rooted,

Sent from my rooted Froyo Fascinate

Could you just swap the SD cards with the replacement? so you dont lose anything/theres no chance of them seeing CW files and such?

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Loose port is not covered by verizon warranty - unless it came like that right out of the box. It usually stems from users carelessly push-pulling on their charge cables...especially when using the car chargers.

OP
Jamis0n

Jamis0n

Reaction score
I'm just planning to restart ... its not much of an issue since I'm very experienced with root. Just one close click root wwith the new SF. Odin the old one back to stock. Easy as pie now. Always ask questions. As they say... questions make a newb into a pro....

I keep batt and SD... so no worries. Just back up to SD and Its like flashing a rom.

I get it Thursday, do ill keep everyone posted.............

sc 2.9v
honeycomb theme

TBV

Reaction score
Loose port is not covered by verizon warranty - unless it came like that right out of the box. It usually stems from users carelessly push-pulling on their charge cables...especially when using the car chargers.

What you stated above is both true and false...:)

If a device has a known issue with a weak charging port, is within the warranty period (1 year unless customer has extended warranty), and otherwise does not appear to be physically damaged, we will replace it.

You are 100% correct though in your statement that using the device while on the charger, in particular the car charger as it puts pressure on the ports 'chip' when handling the phone while connected and is apt to cause it to get loose.

Just so you all know
- At the end of this month there is to be a policy change regarding the warranty process with VZW:

A little less than a year ago the powers that be at VZW instructed those of us on the front lines to more strictly inspect devices for things that are considered to void the warranty which were overlooked in the past, that being things like scratches on the sides, back, and screen (some of you may have experienced this in a store)...before we could issue or order a replacement for a customer, we had to have a manager inspect said device and in writing both of us notate why the replacement was granted.

On April 1st it will get even stricter...(1) we in the stores will no longer have any replacements in the stores and (2) if the customer wants us to order a replacement rather than go through insurance (if they have it), the determination as to whether the device is warrantable will be made where the 'defective' device is sent (not sure if that is to VZW or the manufacturer) and not at all by us in the store, and if said device is determined to be abused /damaged and not a manufacturers defect, the customer's account will be billed up to $200 depending on the type of device.

Of course the customer will have documentation detailing this possibility of charges before they choose to send off the 'defective' device, so the charges won't just appear out of nowhere, but I think it will dictate that people take better care of their devices and/or give more consideration to carrying insurance on their line. TBV

forstir9

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds like BS. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like if you take good care of a device you might still be charged. It won't be determined until after it is sent to Verizon. It also sounds like it won't be sent to Verizon unless I sign something that tells me I might be charged $200. If I opt not to sign the form because the problem is not my fault then I expect the store won't send it out because I didn't sign the form. That sounds like I need to put alot of faith in Verizon to do the right thing once the device is out of my hands. Trust new I have a hard time doing that considering that Verizon had messed up my bill each and every time I have done an upgrade. Believe me when I say the mistakes that were made did not benefit me. The last mistake had 2 primary line charges on my family plan. To beat it all I had over 10 calls in to fix the problem. Within those calls I had 4 support people tell me there want a problem wroth my bill. Even though my bill was $110 over the normal bill I was use to seeing. They told me there was no problem.... These same people will be the ones to determine if it's my fault or not if my phone is defective....hmmmm. What if they are told by Verizon to decrease the amount of manufacture warranted returns?

OP
Jamis0n

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Well this is the same way how my env2 was taken care of. I call they send a new one and I send mine back. Quick and easy. Same for my alias1. The single hinge takes more stress than anything just to flip it is landscape mode.

I believe they will take good care of me and like I said.... ill keep you all posted.
6 more days!!!!

sc 2.9v
honeycomb theme

TBV

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds like BS. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like if you take good care of a device you might still be charged. It won't be determined until after it is sent to Verizon. It also sounds like it won't be sent to Verizon unless I sign something that tells me I might be charged $200. If I opt not to sign the form because the problem is not my fault then I expect the store won't send it out because I didn't sign the form. That sounds like I need to put alot of faith in Verizon to do the right thing once the device is out of my hands...

If a person takes good care of their device by protecting it with a skin, display protector, minimizes using it while charging, and keeps it clean, they shouldn't have any problems with this.

That being said, I have had some phones come in that were obviously not taken care of; scratched and/or chipped up from drops, debris in the keys or battery compartment and/or some type of moisture exposure, and the customer arguing that what I am looking at is 'normal wear and tear' ...LOL. TBV

OP
Jamis0n

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds like BS. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like if you take good care of a device you might still be charged. It won't be determined until after it is sent to Verizon. It also sounds like it won't be sent to Verizon unless I sign something that tells me I might be charged $200. If I opt not to sign the form because the problem is not my fault then I expect the store won't send it out because I didn't sign the form. That sounds like I need to put alot of faith in Verizon to do the right thing once the device is out of my hands...

If a person takes good care of their device by protecting it with a skin, display protector, minimizes using it while charging, and keeps it clean, they shouldn't have any problems with this.

That being said, I have had some phones come in that were obviously not taken care of; scratched and/or chipped up from drops, debris in the keys or battery compartment and/or some type of moisture exposure, and the customer arguing that what I am looking at is 'normal wear and tear' ...LOL. TBV

I know right!!! Maybe a week time since October without a case. 3 days without a screen protector. Dropped once on carpet without cases. One micro scratch on gorilla glass only seen when cleaned and glare search.

I need to flash back Wednesday night. Illl be misses my root for a whole 24 hours!!!

Btw, the Verizon case with the stand made my volume buttons a little loose taking it on and off. You this that could be an issue?

sc 2.9v
honeycomb theme

OP
Jamis0n

Jamis0n

Reaction score
so i had the phone waiting for me after work at 9pm......

successfully unrooted my the old one and is now back to 2.1update1 w/ ea28 update.
new phone was rooted to the same 2.9.1v and lagfix activiated.

then i got the phone activated...... pretty cool to have it all done before i even sign in, haha.

old one is being sent tomorrow morning! it was a piece of cake.

edit;

spoke too soon...... being at factory and not doing the basic updates screwed up the 3g...

highly recommending being on dl09 prior to root/rom/lagfix....

fishmstr

Reaction score

In other words as long as you leave your phone in the original box, they will cover it under warranty if a faulty charging port breaks. :)

By the way who's idiotic idea was it to put the charging port on the top of the phone?

OP
Jamis0n

Jamis0n

Reaction score
@fishmster; lol @ in the box haha.

btw, the replacement phone couldnt get 3g but make called and my old one was able to get 3g/internet but no calls. so i talked with the reps and theyre sending me another replacement.

one this thats odd....

i did one click root and didnt get a super user in my app drawer.

i have SC2.9.1 though..... weird

edit;
SU just showed up.