Can the droid stream music to bluetooth capable car stereos?

liguy257

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a new stereo for my car, and the one I"m looking at has bluetooth built in. It lists the BT profiles it's compatible with, which according to the Moto website, the Droid has all of them. But then in the section about streaming music it says:

The headunit also supports Bluetooth's wireless Audio Streaming Profile and Bluetooth's Audio Control Profile.

But I don't see that specific wording on Moto's technical specs for the Droid, so I'm not sure what to make of it at this point...

ckonon

Reaction score
I have a Ford car with the bluetooth Sync system and it works flawlessly with making calls and playing audio over bluetooth, whether playing music off the the phone itself or streaming via Pandora.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
I have a Ford car with the bluetooth Sync system and it works flawlessly with making calls and playing audio over bluetooth, whether playing music off the the phone itself or streaming via Pandora.

Sweet. Does it work with other apps like Slacker also?

I was looking at fords when I was car shopping in 08 and the Sync system was a massive draw. I ended up gettinmg something else but I still love the idea of how the intgrate everything. I'm going for something similar w/ my installation.

schollianmj

Reaction score
Short answer.... Yes.

I bought a JVC KD-R900... lower end headunit for 230 from the local stereo shop. It has built in BT, but I didn't think I would use it much... boy was I WRONG!! On a whim I paired it with my droid. Music streams from the droid to it seamlessly! Be it pandora, native music app, 3D, or myxing. One cool thing with myxing is that it also supports BT headset controls, meaning I can skip forward, backward and pause music from the headunit. When playing any music on the headunit (be it streaming from droid, cd, ipod, or aux in or radio station) if I get a call the music mutes and my stereo rings! No more missed calls blasting down I-95 windows down with Nine Inch Nails cranked! (Good or bad depending on who is c@alling... )

All in all I would definately recomend getting one with BT. If its a decent shop your looking at ask if you can test your phone with it. Before the headunit can access your phones addressbook your droid will ask you for permission. Just click no.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
All in all I would definately recomend getting one with BT. If its a decent shop your looking at ask if you can test your phone with it. Before the headunit can access your phones addressbook your droid will ask you for permission. Just click no.

Nice... when the phone rings does it play your ringtones through the receiver or just a generic ring? I know it's greedy but that would make it even more awesome. The one I'm looking at also displays incoming text messages.

I'm ordering from Crutchfield so I can't test it, but I can see if best buy has one and I can try to test it there...that's a good idea.

ckonon

Reaction score

Sweet. Does it work with other apps like Slacker also?

I was looking at fords when I was car shopping in 08 and the Sync system was a massive draw. I ended up gettinmg something else but I still love the idea of how the intgrate everything. I'm going for something similar w/ my installation.

I can't say is Slacker works cause I haven't tried it, but as far as I can tell, any audio that will come out of the droid speaker will play over bluetooth audio. I have even played games and watched video and had the audio through the car speakers lol!

schollianmj

Reaction score
Nah, its a generic tone. Three to choose from for calls, and three for texts.

I can't view teext messages on mine, but I can push a button and call from my addressbook. Mine also came with a micraphone that I mounted on my headliner aimed at me so I can talk hands free. Works pretty good as long as my windows are up! :)

Crutchfield huh? Might check amazon for the same model number... I have always found crutchfield to be rather overpriced and the customer service lacking... but regardless, good luck!

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
Nah, its a generic tone. Three to choose from for calls, and three for texts.

I can't view teext messages on mine, but I can push a button and call from my addressbook. Mine also came with a micraphone that I mounted on my headliner aimed at me so I can talk hands free. Works pretty good as long as my windows are up! :)

Crutchfield huh? Might check amazon for the same model number... I have always found crutchfield to be rather overpriced and the customer service lacking... but regardless, good luck!

Did you mount your mic to the visor? How did you handle that wire? That's the only thing I'm iffy about--the wire plugs into the back of the unit and then has to end up either in my visor or on the steering column, but I can't visualize how that works.

The thing with crutchfield is that they include just about every single thing you can possibly need for the installation (tools, customized guids, dash kits, wiring, ect). That's why they're pricier.

schollianmj

Reaction score
Slacker works just fine. I just don't use it. As to the mic, I pulled the plastic sail panels off my a pillars and ran the cable under them then above the headliner to the center of the top of the windshield. That is where my mic sits. Came with a little clip to hold it there. I think the cable was maybe a meter and a half or so... I still have a bunch of slack in it coiled up under the headunit if I wanted to move the mic somewhere else. I put it centered above my rear view so that I can move the visor and not ever worry about snagging the mic and ripping the cable or pulling it out.

One other option for you might be to pull. The bezel off around the guages and drill a hole the size of your mic in it to one side and mount the mic behind it so the business end is just barely sticking through. Secure it with hot melt glue to test with and if it works and you like it use something more resiliant like silicone. I wouldn't use an epoxy as you might down the road want to get rid of the hu and if the mic is epoxied in, its generally breaking or staying.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
you're grossly overestimating my skills here... I understood about 40% of what you just said so that should give you an indication as to where I'm at. I'm good with computers and can hook up the s*** out of my home entertainment system, but have a serious mental block when it comes to car stereo, and periphals, installation.

It's unfortunate but true. My brother in law is helping with this install and I plan on attempting to learn how to do it for next time but for this tiem I have to rely on him and he's mad busy so it's gonna be hard enough to do basic s***, let alone all this extra stuff I need. Should be fun.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
If you get stuck I am but an email away... [email protected]

What head unit and what yearf make model of car? Mihht be able to give you some advise or instruction...

RIght now I'm looking at the Kenwood KDC-BT945U for a 2007 nissan altima. I've never installed a unit where things connected to the back and had to be funneled out... this one has the blue tooth mic and also the USB is in the back as well, so I have to connect a USB and run it somewhere so I can access it. Kind of annoying but whatevs.