Can i install the official gingerbread update OTA if im rooted?

1dtms

Reaction score
all i did to my phone is root it using the z4 root installed using adb/sdk command line.

I didnt install anything else other than apps

can i still upgrade to gingerbread ota and still be rooted?

Im currently at froyo and dont wanna use custom roms, i only want root so i can run certain apps. i still wanna be able to receive official updates in the future ota

Beka27

Reaction score
No. You would have to unroot, and install the TBH 2-part file for rooted GB. Rooted users cannot get the ota, and the ota is not rooted yet anyways.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

FernBch

Reaction score
No. You would have to unroot, and install the TBH 2-part file for rooted GB. Rooted users cannot get the ota, and the ota is not rooted yet anyways.

I have heard of root only users getting the official OTA. The end result is 596 without root. The OTA is not rootable, yet, but you will be able to receive future OTA's. If you go with the TbH 2-part you will lose future OTA ability but you will be rooted.

Beka27

Reaction score
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression root did not allow you to ota.

The Tick

Reaction score
Rooted GB

So, i just wanna make sure i got this right. you CANT have an OTA GB rooted DX...YET. correct?

wyld

Reaction score
Well I am running rooted gingerbread. And yes you receive future updates if your rooted after you sbf back to stock before you take an update. That is if the DX will ever get another update. If you are still on Froyo root with z4 mod then install the 2 part zip files from tbh using D2 bootstrap. And stay rooted on gingerbread That easy

Sent from my rooted GB DROID X 1.15 Ghz

Last edited:

FernBch

Reaction score
Well I am running rooted gingerbread. And yes you receive future updates if your rooted after you sbf back to stock before you take an update. That is if the DX will ever get another update. If you are still on Froyo root with z4 mod then install the 2 part zip files from tbh using D2 bootstrap. And stay rooted on gingerbread That easy

Sent from my rooted GB DROID X 1.15 Ghz

Let me clarify this. IF you are on a rooted GB you will not receive future OTA's, if I understand correctly. If you SBF back to froyo or the stock unrooted 596 ( yes there's an sbf for that, too), then you will be able to recieve future OTA's, if there ever is another released for the DX.

wyld

Reaction score
Isn't that what I said almost a week ago? Lol

DROIDX DarkSlideX 1.15 Ghz

aagouti

Reaction score
Hello all,

How can I tell if my phone is rooted? I bought a Droid X on craigslist and when he sold me the phone he said he restored to factory settings.

I want to get official gingerbread update. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

jasonD

Reaction score
Ok so i need your help so im going to tag in on this thread.
The other day i went to my settings, about phone, updates. It automatically wanted me to update. I chose no. But now im getting notifications every 2 hours saying that its downloaded the update an wants me to choose update now, but i bypass that so it doesnt update. I am currently rooted on my version 2.3.340 and android version 2.2.1. Im rooted via z4 root so i can wireless tether. As i understand it that if i update i will lose the ability to root and be unable to tether for free. So i need your advise. What should i do? I tried looking for the file 4.5.596.en.us on my phone which is the update so i could delete it. But i cant find it on my phone. Any suggestions?