Can a droid 2 put videos on a hdtv like hdmi with DLNA?

777BMWfan

Reaction score
Im torn between the droid x and the droid 2 and i found out that i wanted to put my screen view onto the tv. Ive heard about real hdmi for droid x and i wondered if i could do that with the droid two in some way.
I will get the droid 2 global if the droid x doesn't fit my pocket because i dont know if my pockets are 5" deep.
thanks.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of due to the D2 (and variants) not having an HDMI out. I could be wrong though..

DroidForums junkie!!

dave52355

Reaction score
I've only had my D2 a few hours but supposedly if you have a DLNA media player attached to your TV and shares setup you should be able to stream from your D2 to your TV.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Interesting...

I've only had my D2 a few hours but supposedly if you have a DLNA media player attached to your TV and shares setup you should be able to stream from your D2 to your TV.

DroidForums junkie!!

zzhou

Reaction score
Is windows 7 a dlna compatible device?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

born2golf

Reaction score
OK, I have had the following results, when connecting to my phone from the xbox 360 user interface, without too much tinkering. Note that I am using the DROID2

Music: I am able to browse the folder structure, and stream from the phone to the xbox successfully. (I'm a bit shocked this worked)

Pictures: I am able to browse the folder structure, but none of the images would play on my xbox. This is not a format issue, since the photos on my phone are a combination of droid photos and other photos I took from my DSLR. All of these photo can be viewed by my xbox when served from windows media player library using DLNA

Video: The xbox360 can find the droid, and I can view the folders, but no videos are available.

The xbox is hard wired to the same Cisco Wireless router my droid is connected to on wifi.

Again, I haven't tinkered much, but since this is a use case that I will probably never need, I am going to quit trying. I use DLNA fairly extensively in my home, and can't really see a scenario when I will need to serve from my phone. It's a cool concept, but not that useful IMHO.

OP

777BMWfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys, i will probally go with the droid x if it fits in my pocket.dancedroid

born2golf

Reaction score
I just took a peek at that Real HDMI app. If putting your phone on the TV is a core requirement for you, then I agree, go with the Droid X and that App. Because even if we can get the DLNA to work properly on the Droid2, you'd still be limited to serving over the wifi network which could impact the quality. This app should give you 1:1 HD quality to your TV assuming your content is HD quality in the first place.

Please fill us in on your results.

OP

777BMWfan

Reaction score
I just took a peek at that Real HDMI app. If putting your phone on the TV is a core requirement for you, then I agree, go with the Droid X and that App. Because even if we can get the DLNA to work properly on the Droid2, you'd still be limited to serving over the wifi network which could impact the quality. This app should give you 1:1 HD quality to your TV assuming your content is HD quality in the first place.

Please fill us in on your results.
thanks for the help

dave52355

Reaction score
I played with it this morning. Was able to stream music and pictures to my PS3 after enabling xbox support. Turns on a MS style server within DLNA. It showed a movie directory but no movies were in it. Perhaps I have the movie in the wrong directory.

Only real advantage I see with this is being able to show pictures to a group of people instead of passing around the phone, The wifi is 802.11 abn so with a n router you should be able to stream HD. However, that only means you would not need to purchase a mini hdmi cable to plug into the back of your TV. To me even with the DX except for the " cool " factor I don't see it as useful having that function.