Camera and Texting Picture?

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
I took a couple of pictures with my S4 and tried to text them. They failed to send. In the text window it shows the pictures and under them it says MMS and there is a picture of a pad lock next to MMS. This is the second time I tried to text a picture and it failed. I am in a 4G area so service should not be the issue. Any help?

OP
Paul_Aris

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Not sure what made the difference but I tried a couple of things. I turned off wifi in settings and that made the 4G signal icon show up in the notification top bar on the screen. Then I went in to text instead of gallery and attached the picture that way and it went. My guess is turning wifi off made the difference. This forced data to go through the cell service. Seems as if the s4 would be smart enough to know text always goes through cell regardless if media is attached or not. Any thoughts?

kaylesworth

Reaction score
Just tried a MMS picture with wifi connected on my S4 and when I hit send the phone switched to 4G and sent it with no problems. I tried a pic from the camera and from the gallery. Not sure why yours failed to send.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Depending on your carrier will depend on how the messages are sent. AT&T allows mms to be sent over WiFi. But vzw mms must go through their network. Sms will send through the regular cell service on vzw you do not need data or wifi on for sms to send.

Flung from Beer Tent Capital of the World.

OP
Paul_Aris

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Ok this problem continues. We have 3 S4's in our house and they all seem to stumble with sending or receiving pictures through text when connected to wifi. We have Verizon service.

I think the biggest problem is that we are connected to Wifi and the Samsung S4 doesn't know enough to switch to 4G over the air data to send or receive the text. Most of the time it is a text with picture but I have experienced this issues with just a simple text with no picture as well.

To fix the issue. I turn wifi off and restart the phone and then it will send are receive. Anyone else experience this issue? Is there a fix?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Verizon does not allow the sending/receiving of MMS over wifi. Are you using the stock messaging app? I have had issues in the past with the Samsung app knowing when to "hand off" the wifi/4g data for MMS. Verizon SMS app is actually pretty decent. I can't recall for sure but I thought there was a setting in the messaging app about mobile data for MMS......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk