Calling card to use in mexico

Jimi1991

Reaction score
HI guys i am Jimi im taking a vacation to mexico soon and i relized my cell phone service will not be working down there. what kind of card will i need. To call From mexico to the united states are they just standard calling cards?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Jimi!
Hopefully someone will be able to answer this question for you. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What I do while out of the country is use the Magic Jack app with a local internet data plan. I have a local sim that I load GBs of data on and then make the calls using that data.

This could also be achieved using any app like Skype, but Magic Jack gives me a U.S. number that my friends and family can call at no charge to them. For their phones it is a local call which is routed via the Internet to my phone.

I pay $15 dollars a year for the number since I travel very frequently for lengthy periods of time. I'm not positive, but I think the free version of Magic Jack allows outgoing calls only.

My phone is an international model that is factory unlocked so you may have to ask your carrier what you have to do to be able to use different sims.

Reactions: cr6

kristi-1991

Reaction score
HI guys i am Jimi im taking a vacation to mexico soon and i relized my cell phone service will not be working down there. what kind of card will i need. To call From mexico to the united states are they just standard calling cards?

Quality of internet connection form most Mexican hotels is not good enough to use Skype Viber or other VoIP apps. You have to either use a travel calling card with access number from Mexico or so called “call-back” calling card app. Rate from travel calling card could be much higher. For example Red Cross from Ontario Phone Cards calling cards by email allow you to call from Mexico by dialing Mexican toll free 0018005144522, but extra fee for that number is 29c/min. This is in addition to regular USA to Mexico calling card rate - 1 c/min. If you have a Smartphone and WiFi in your hotel you may use CiCi Mobile This calling app may arrange the call from the number you provide (number you need to call) to your hotel number. In that case you pay regular 1c/min USA to Mexico rate.