Bricked Phone

str8havoc

Reaction score
Ok i think I just killed my SF! Was rooted, installed Voodoo everything was working great then I tried to install a theme. I keep'd getting force closes so I installed backup. That didn't help at all. Booted back into CM recovery made some bad choices and now my phone just stays on the Samaung name.

I can get back into the SF recovery but I'm not able to get CM recovery!

Any thoughts? :shocked::eek:

zero7starz

Reaction score
This happened to me... well kind of I didn't get there the same way you did. Honestly, you're not going to like my solution - its alot of work.

In SF recovery, do wipe data/restore, then once you're back into the phone go into menu -> settings -> privacy and do another factory reset (I had to twice, because it didn't restore it all the way like it should.).

Then once you're completely back to stock, you will have to re-root. The easiest, quickest way is to go back to the sticky here "Noob guide to rooting" and copy/paste all the command line prompts.

Once you have super user back, re-flash ClockworkMod. Be sure to put the CWM update.zip (its on the XDA page of how to flash CWM) onto your SD card before you go any further. Then, go back into CWM and re-do your restore. At this point, you should be back to where ever you were before things went wonky.

If you need help, you can find me on gtalk at: z e r o 7 s t a r z A T g m a i l d o t c o m.

P.S. if you're pretty comfortable with Odin, you can go back to the XDA page of how to flash CWM and grab the Odin SF restore files, and flash those instead of doing the double factory resets. It might be a quicker rout and cut some time/steps off of this.

Don't be too worried - you didn't "brick" it, its just sick :) As long as its getting back into some form of recovery, you should be just fine.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please feel free.e

OP
S

str8havoc

Reaction score
Thanks for your help but I went with my WFG from Big Red. I got my new phone today. So I will start the the whole rooting process over.

I do need to ask one more quistion. when installing a them is it best to uninstall ADW or Launcher Pro?

zero7starz

Reaction score
I don't use them but i dont think it matters. If you need help rooting ill be around :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

OP
S

str8havoc

Reaction score
Ok I got pblms. Started the root process again the same way as I did for the first phone and I couldn't get CWM to boot into recovery. so I took your advice and did a data wipe in SF recovery. Now the I'm getting so many force closes I cant do anything. I can get threw the Back up assistance but can't open Google to set up my account. So I skip that and it takes me to the home screen which won't show because its force closing. Help please!

OP
S

str8havoc

Reaction score
UDATE i was able to get CWMR back on my phone and did a restore then data wipe. Everything seems to working fine.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Yea, on my oops I had to do a data wipe twice too because I had your same problem. Its weird.

OP
S

str8havoc

Reaction score
Went from good to bad

Yea, on my oops I had to do a data wipe twice too because I had your same problem. Its weird.

Ok I went from good to bad again. Now my phone is stuck in airplane mode so I can't use it. It just blinks the lock screen at me and telling me my battery is is not connected. Can't boot into CWR because the battery is to low.

I booted into SFR and did a data/cache wipe. That didn't change anything.

Update: went back to odin3 and flashed a CWMRecovery.tar and it seems to be some what stable but I'm still stuck in airplane mode

zero7starz

Reaction score
Weird... did you install voodoo? I know the battery not connected error is something that it can cause, but I haven't heard of a phone getting stuck in airplane mode. When you flashed with Odin, you used the PDA option not the Phone option, correct? (Please say yes D:)

OP
S

str8havoc

Reaction score
Yes, i did use the PDA and installed the voodo. When ever I do a data wipe it never takes me threw the account set up.

What happens if you do use the phone tab instead of the PDA?

Do I have any chance to get this phone back up and running?

zero7starz

Reaction score
If you flash with phone and not pda you will over write your modums file and your phone will no longer work. Its more complicated than that but its the short version.

Would there be any way i.could get you onto gtalk or the samsung fascinate irc? I think i can help but its better if i could walk you through the steps. It's kinda the last thing to try, and im hoping it works.

Jeff5886

Reaction score
If you flash with phone and not pda you will over write your modums file and your phone will no longer work. Its more complicated than that but its the short version.

Would there be any way i.could get you onto gtalk or the samsung fascinate irc? I think i can help but its better if i could walk you through the steps. It's kinda the last thing to try, and im hoping it works.

i used odin and booted in phone is there a fix yet?

justin090435

Reaction score
so i bricked my phone hard, i desperately need help, like asap. i dont know how i managed to brick my phone but it will not leave recovery, no reboot system, nothing. i have used the odin back to stock method to just start over..... i am able to get to cwrecovery, i can move around in there, ive doen every combination of mounting, wiping, reinstalling, nandroids, backups......... nothing at all is working. everytime i reboot i get stuck in the stock recovery mode and the process starts all over.....HELP ME PLEASE