Bizarre Bug> Some Apps Only Launch on Mobile Data

Rivereyes

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S20
I have a strange one.

Happened on both a Samsung S9 and Samsung S20, both times seemingly completely at random i.e. not after any phone updates or new app installations. Google Play will stop downloading apps over wi-fi (Everything will be stuck on Download Pending) and random apps on the phone (from Facebook to random marketing apps) will only launch to their splash screens and remain frozen. Weather will not update.

Switching to mobile data or even connecting to a vpn while on my wi-fi, immediately resolves this. I have never changed any setting on the home router either. Every other device operates normally and has full internet access.

I have tried clearing data and cache for Download Manager, Google Play Store & Google Play Services, all to no avail.

Last time I had this issue was maybe seven months back and it seemed to resolve on its own after lingering for a couple of weeks.

I am completely and truly stumped.

OP
R

Rivereyes

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S20
I tried those and a lot more to boot.

The actual solution blew my mind :

I had to turn off Ipv6 in my router's settings. Even though most ISP's provide it as part of their standard service, for some reason, my carrier has not really implemented Ipv6 in their network. They have some kind of hackneyed juju 'bridge' code to make 5G work, but it creates all sorts of bugs and issues.

As soon as I turned off Ipv6, presto majesto, everything worked perfectly again.