Best Video Player

Big Fate

Reaction score
Any of you know which player on the market is the best?

Stocked is coo, but I just wish it had more options. Plus rewinding is a pain.

I've come accross a few like Arcmedia which is alright but doesent play MP4's and Rockplayer which has its flaws with the whole Rated R symbol at the top with not many options. Any of you run into a few good ones?

D

dvdcatalyst

Rockplayer and Act1 are the ones that are the more popular ones.

Rockplayer because it plays other files such as AVI and MKV

Act1 because it has a lot of additional options to enhance your videoplayback.

OP
Big Fate

Big Fate

Reaction score
Rockplayer and Act1 are the ones that are the more popular ones.

Rockplayer because it plays other files such as AVI and MKV

Act1 because it has a lot of additional options to enhance your videoplayback.

Yea I seen that one too, didnt really have good reviews as the others. I might just stick with Rockplayer intill I find something better.

OP
Big Fate

Big Fate

Reaction score
Do you have to purchase the player to remove the R off the top left corner?

D

dvdcatalyst

Yea I seen that one too, didnt really have good reviews as the others. I might just stick with Rockplayer intill I find something better.

Don't let those reviews fool you.

I just looked at a couple of them, and the bad ones are mainly from people who are trying to play either badly formatted videos or non-supported ones.

As with any portable video player, you can not just throw whatever file you find on it, and expect it to play properly, but most of those reviews are from people who are doing just that, and rather than posting a review about Android or the phone in general, they just post bad reviews for video players that try to work with the limitations.

The "cryptic error" one is obviously posted by someone who is trying to play a "Digital Copy" file, which isn't supported on the DX. 720p does actually work on the DX, as long as it is properly formatted.

Droid X plays HD 720p MP4 file, samples in this post, need testing on HDMI plz

Rockplayer can play a lot of different files, but it uses a software-engine for playback. It will play AVI files found all over the web, which is why it is popular, but because it is mostly processor-dependent, it has its limitations.

Act1 uses the build-in hardware support for playback, and of course, for that to work, the files have to play properly in Gallery.

OP
Big Fate

Big Fate

Reaction score

Don't let those reviews fool you.

I just looked at a couple of them, and the bad ones are mainly from people who are trying to play either badly formatted videos or non-supported ones.

As with any portable video player, you can not just throw whatever file you find on it, and expect it to play properly, but most of those reviews are from people who are doing just that, and rather than posting a review about Android or the phone in general, they just post bad reviews for video players that try to work with the limitations.

The "cryptic error" one is obviously posted by someone who is trying to play a "Digital Copy" file, which isn't supported on the DX. 720p does actually work on the DX, as long as it is properly formatted.

Droid X plays HD 720p MP4 file, samples in this post, need testing on HDMI plz

Rockplayer can play a lot of different files, but it uses a software-engine for playback. It will play AVI files found all over the web, which is why it is popular, but because it is mostly processor-dependent, it has its limitations.

Act1 uses the build-in hardware support for playback, and of course, for that to work, the files have to play properly in Gallery.

That makes alot of sense.

So if you were to rate one over the other, you saying you would choose Act 1?

D

dvdcatalyst

Yes.

Playing multiple filetypes is great, especially if you actually obtain your movies from the internet. However, if your files are properly formatted MP4 files, they play using the build-in hardware support of the phone, which causes less drain on the battery.

My DX files play on my iPod Touch (4G) as well as on my XBOX360 and on my HD media player, all using the standard players on each.
The "Gallery" app alone would suffice for me, but with a full season of Myth Busters :) on my DX, its hard to pick out individual episodes.

brochaos

Reaction score
i like rockplayer only because the stock gallery can not play back my stock recorded videos smoothly on my D1.