Best Phone Calling App?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by SSHGuru, Jun 21, 2010.

1. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I am looking for an application that allows me to call people on my contacts list with one button... a direct dial.

Something a little easier than scrolling through the list.

Any ideas?
  2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

dialer one in market..
  3. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Tried it and didn't like it much... thanks tho.
  4. bbohannon

bbohannon New Member

Why don't you use the pre-installed shortcut? You can add the shortcut to your home screen to call the contact you want
  5. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID New Member

Thats what i do.
  6. iPhoneBlowz

iPhoneBlowz New Member

Have you tried out Gesture Search? It's not a one click solution, but it's very convenient.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. takeshi

takeshi New Member

I'm not sure how you can beat this. Direct dials are one-button dialing. Unless the OP means something else.
  8. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Gesture search works well but I was looking for a one press button to call anyone on my list.
  9. VitsDroid

VitsDroid New Member

I use quickdail, I like it.
  10. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

Like previously stated add Direct Dial shortcuts to your homescreen. Then just add them to a folder and rename the folder speed dial?!
  11. Simply Applied

Simply Applied New Member

It's not a single touch, but we just released our new app Sign, which is a gesture-based speed dialer. You press once to activate the recognition engine and then simply draw a gesture ("sign") right from the home screen. It might be slightly slower than a single tap, but not much slower. However, it prevents misdials and inadvertent calls which can happen with direct dialers.

Also, it lets you choose between calling and texting.

The signs are completely customizable so you can make any sign you want for a contact, i.e., numbers, initials, drawings, etc. because it allows for multi-stroke gestures.

If you want to try it, there is a free version, Sign Lite, which has a limit of 3 contacts. The full version ($1.99) allows for an unlimited amount of contacts.

Just search "Sign" in the market. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Here's a video demo:

Here are some screenshots:

The contact list with assigned gestures
    [​IMG]

A single stroke Sign on the homescreen (half cut off)
    [​IMG]

A multi-stroke Sign on the homescreen
    [​IMG]

Multiple gestures within one Sign (although this would defeat the purpose of a "speed" dial, it is possible to have up to 8 strokes in any Sign)
    [​IMG]

Call confirmation
    [​IMG]

The settings screen
    [​IMG]

Contact Assignment Screen
    [​IMG]
  12. azbutch

azbutch New Member

I use the included shortcut app, but I have moved my icons to the next screen on the list as that way I don't bump it and call it by mistake. A simple thumb flip to screen two and 1 press on my ladies picture and I am dialing. Nothing simpler. It would be nice if it took a double tap to prevent mis-dialing, but at least I don't have to look down at several successive screens to verify.
  13. Simply Applied

I used to do this all the time, which is where I came up with the idea for Sign. Too many inadvertent calls to people late at night.
  14. pwnvds

pwnvds New Member

The problem with putting all your direct dial contacts in a folder or on a homescreen is that you then have a sea of direct dial contacts and you have to search through to find the one you want to call. With something like Sign, you just gesture who you want to call, no searching for the right contact. Works best when you have 5 or 10 contacts.
  15. Simply Applied

Thanks. Actually Sign works pretty well for as many gestures as you can remember. I actually use initials of the contacts I want to have on Sign so I can remember more of them. When two contacts have the same initials, I use a symbol or something for one of the contacts, and that is usually pretty easy to remember as well.

For instance, my wife's initials are the same as someone else I call regularly, so my wife's Sign is a heart (don't judge, it scored some points!) and then I use the initials for the other person.

One other thing is that Sign uses the number of strokes, the order the strokes are made, and the direction the stroke is drawn when evaluating and recognizing the proper contact. For instance, I have two contacts with GS as their initials, but on one of them, I draw the G from the outside in, and on the other I start on the bar in the middle and circle out to make the G. Those are different signs. A V could be drawn 6 different ways, theoretically, however, that would get complicated to remember.

Also, you can use lowercase and uppercase letters.

I have between 20 and 30 contacts and I really don't have a problem remembering them because for most its the initials and there are only a handful where I have to remember its something different. Makes it easier for me.

Anyways, thanks for the comment and I'm happy it appears you like using Sign.
  16. pwnvds

pwnvds New Member

yah, I guess I meant it works best when you have a lot of speed dial contacts...I have about 12, but if you have 20-30 you want to have on speed dial, then something like Sign would be perfect.
  17. Rsswga

Rsswga New Member

The Droid makes phone calls to??..my minutes have decreased drastically since I've gotten my droid

Like the guys said...use the short cut
  18. Simply Applied

Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were indicating that Sign worked best with 5-10 apps, not that direct dials work better when there is a limited number of contacts.

And yes, although I'm biased, I agree that it is more effective with more apps. However, because it eliminates the accidental/unintended calls that happen with direct dials, I think its better for any amount of contacts. :)

Thanks for the feedback.
  19. Simply Applied

Sign does texting too if you don't make a lot of calls. After this upcoming update, you'll be able to set the default action to Text instead of Call.

And we're considering adding email, GTalk, etc. in the future...although I'm not making any promises because we want to keep Sign small and responsive, so we have to weigh any additional features against how it impacts performance.
  20. azbutch

azbutch New Member

I'm sorry, but let me understand....and you understand (you asked for feedback). I'm driving down the road with my bluetooth in my ear and decide to call my wife. I pick up my Incredible and click on the on button on the upper left edge and then without looking flip my thumb to the right with brings up the left screen and I push my finger half way down and I am dialing.....having never taken my eyes from the road! That's why I use the shortcut. I don't have to activate a calling system and I don't have to confirm whom I am calling, both or which my eyes off the road. Sorry.
Search tags for this page

app that makes it look like someone else is calling

app thats says someone else is calling
app to look like someone else is callin

app to make it look like someone else is calling

app to make it seem like someone is calling you
app where it looks like someone else is calling
how to make it look like someone else is calling
is there an app for when i call someone i can make it look l
is there an app that can make it look lole yoir text someone
make it look like someone else is calling
phone app that makes you think someone else is calling