backup assistant?

papp_e

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just loaded up this rom and i love it. I cant figure out how to find backup assistant so i can load my contacts from it though. Is there a script to install it? Also, what are all the scripts that we can use with this rom? I didnt see them listed in the rom post where you DL the rom from.

Thanks for the help guys

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
How is everyone else getting their contacts back in without it? I installed this ROM on my wifes DX, had to export her contacts to gmail then to the phone (not very fun either). Would like to hook up my D2 but don't want to go through all that again.

BUMP, for any help with backup assistant.

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
Does anyone have the .apk for backup assistant?

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
Ahh crap. Can you post it just for the hell of it?

Reaction score
Guys, I don't know how to get backup assistant back, but I can tell you that like 99% of users hate it, and are excited to get rid of it. Google backs up all your contacts (if you have the option turned on). This is more reliable than Backup Assistant, and doesn't require a constantly running service like BA.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Its just the easy way to get them back....lol. don't know how Google works but I only see contacts that I have made since I got my D2 and not "all" of them. Don't look forward to moving 250+ contacts over manually.

From a D2.

Reaction score
Well, if you google around, for BackupAssistant.apk, I'm sure one of the forums will have a download link for it. I know it's one of the programs necessary to get an OTA update, and someone put together a download with all of that stock crap. Check around at androidforums.com and xda developers, I remember there's a big list on one of those sites. After that, make sure you set your google account to sync contacts, then anything you put in your phone will be backed up to Google's servers for next time.

hijinks

Reaction score
Google to backup contacts

If you have your contacts on the backup assistant go to the verizonwireless website and login. Click on Select All, actions, export contacts. Save the file(CVS).
This should push the contacts to your phone and they can be edited from your google contacts.
If this doesn't work go to settings, accounts & sync, click on the gmail account, make sure sync contacts is checked.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
If you have your contacts on the backup assistant go to the verizonwireless website and login. Click on Select All, actions, export contacts. Save the file(CVS).
This should push the contacts to your phone and they can be edited from your google contacts.
If this doesn't work go to settings, accounts & sync, click on the gmail account, make sure sync contacts is checked.

That is how I have been getting them over on the wife's DX and my D2. The contacts will show up in the phone and Gmail but the info (I.e..........phone numbers, emails, and so forth) show up as a note. You still have to type them in manually.

Sent from my DROID2

hijinks

Reaction score
Try this: if you have the contacts on one of the phones the way you want them. log into gmail, export the contacts to a file, login to the gmail account associated with the second phone and import that file. See if that works. This is assuming you and your wife share many of the same contacts.
Try this too: Go into your gmail add a contact and see if it appears on your phone. If it is added correctly you can add the contacts in gmail and they will be pushed to the phone. This will still take a long time but will be quicker than typing them in on the phone.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Try this: if you have the contacts on one of the phones the way you want them. log into gmail, export the contacts to a file, login to the gmail account associated with the second phone and import that file. See if that works. This is assuming you and your wife share many of the same contacts.
Try this too: Go into your gmail add a contact and see if it appears on your phone. If it is added correctly you can add the contacts in gmail and they will be pushed to the phone. This will still take a long time but will be quicker than typing them in on the phone.

When I said I was typiing them in manually, I meant in Gmail......no way I would do it on the phone! Haha, but all the work is done now so I really have no need for Backup Assistant. Just hope this thread helps out anyone else out there that was dependent of it for all their contacts.

Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my DROID2

thebird36

Reaction score
yeah i had the same prob i hate that it is a note so dumb lol i actually liked backup assistant it was easy lol

breeett

Reaction score
Backup Assistant will not work with this ROM, even if you pull the APK from a stock Droid. It relies on Blur packages that are no longer included with this ROM, as it is supposed to be Blurless. The easiest thing for you guys to do is export a .csv file from the Verizon website with all your contacts in it, and import it into your google contacts.