auto rotate

RobotRon

Reaction score
screen wont auto rotate - box is checked and i rechecked it - any ideas?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Apparently on the Razr stock launcher, home screens and the app drawer do not rotate. Why? got me! For some reason moto thought people would not want their home screens to rotate. If you install a different launcher then you can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
Does rebooting the phone get it to rotate again?

TisMyDroid said:
Apparently on the Razr stock launcher, home screens and the app drawer do not rotate. Why? got me! For some reason moto thought people would not want their home screens to rotate. If you install a different launcher then you can.

I think it's because they feel that more people thinks it annoying to have the home screen autorotate, I know I do at times, like when i get a notification & pick up my phone and inadvertently trigger it to rotate just before I try to tap my pop up. I find it more annoying that the home screen isn't rotated while docked so i leave autorotate on for the home screen. They should have still given the option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

OP
R

RobotRon

Reaction score
i dono what GB means...

i dont care about my home screen rotating -- nothing rotates ...ive had the phone for about a month now and its never done this... any ideas?

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
GB-Gingerbread

If it's never worked & is enabled(some apps also have their own setting) it's likely a bad sensor, so you'd need to swap your phone.

If it's something that just stops working but a reboot seems to fix it for any given amount of time, some have discovered this issue somehow as being related to having poor signal. I haven't personally seen this but could think of some theories as to how it could be more than just coincidence.

1339708296469.jpg

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
GB is short for gingerbread and refers to the Android operating system which is what is on the Razr.

There are several possibilities why your phone stopped rotating and to help you, others will ask you questions to try to help you pin point the problem.

Because you didn't have this problem before and that it happens on everything gives us more information but there are still several possibilities why. The first thing to do you have already done- checked under settings-display to make sure auto rotate screen is checked so we can rule that out. Here is a list of other things to try:

-because this is a brand new problem, chances are it could be an app that you recently installed causing a conflict. Uninstall any apps you recently installed and restart your phone. If that doesn't fix it, you can re-install those apps.
-restart your phone by holding the power button and wait a few minutes before you turn it back on.
-do a mock battery pull by holding the power button and volume down button at the same time...press both of these until your phone restarts.
-install one click clear from play store and run a quick clean and cache clear from that app, then restart phone.
-check various apps and see if any rotate. If still none of them rotate then you may need to do a factory data reset. But others may have other helpful ideas before we try that route.

Flivver

Reaction score
Does rebooting the phone get it to rotate again?

I think it's because they feel that more people thinks it annoying to have the home screen autorotate, I know I do at times, like when i get a notification & pick up my phone and inadvertently trigger it to rotate just before I try to tap my pop up. I find it more annoying that the home screen isn't rotated while docked so i leave autorotate on for the home screen. They should have still given the option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

I've had the same problem with my RAZR as well. For some reason or another, the screen will just stop auto rotating (these problem started the same day I purchased the phone, no new apps to screw anything up). Everything is checked etc...etc..
I have to restart the phone to get it to work again. Since my phone is only a couple of weeks old, I'm thinking that I may just wait for the ICS update and see how that handles and if it still has the problems of the auto rotating, I'm going back in for a new phone.

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
Uhhh...ICS does not fix the problem. Actually, i had GB when i first got my phone and my auto rotate button was checked, however, the only thing i could get to rotate, was YouTube, when it was double clicked. My phone got thrown across the room, the week after i got it, and i got a new one...same thing on it. 2 days after getting it, it updated to ICS...now, NOTHING rotates. Cant click on pics on say, Facebook, that are too big, to be able to see them, because the screen doesn't turn. Starting to tick me off.

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
In fact...have to scroll back and forth here on the forum, to read posts, bc it doesnt turn.

bravefart

Reaction score
Finally found a solution that worked for me
Removed then replaced the simm Card.