AT&T found guilty in small claims court of 'throttling' unlimited data

Beardface

Reaction score
AT&T seeks to settle _ quietly _ with iPhone user :: WRAL.com

And are currently in the process of trying to settle this *quietly* as to not make a big deal so more users follow suit. (Yes, I know this is an iPhone user, so not necessarily Droid based, but I figured this was as best a place as any to post.)

A law firm retained by AT&T Inc. also threatened in a letter dated Friday to shut off Matthew Spaccarelli's phone service if he doesn't sit down to talk.
In its letter, AT&T asked Spaccarelli to be quiet about the settlement talks, including the fact that it offered to start them, another common stipulation. Spaccarelli said he was not interested in settling, and forwarded the letter to The Associated Press.

With this precedent already set, I don't blame them for trying to settle. If this got brought to federal court, and they lost... Opens the flood gates to all unlimited users suing them, Verizon, etc for throttling their unlimited data. Even without this going to federal court, its obvious they know they don't have a case, so they're trying to sweep it under the rug.

(I know the case was in late Feb, but I did a search and couldn't find anyone else having already discussed)

OP
Beardface

Beardface

Reaction score
Whats very interesting is that, according to the documents, AT&T considers users using as little as 2GB per month in the Top 5% of data use and began throttling their data. At the same time, they have a 3GB data tier that they charge the same price as the old 'unlimited' plans that they do not throttle.

I would suspect Verizon is likely doing something similar.