Asus ZenWatch 2 is Coming Next Month for a Relatively Cheap Price of $170

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus-zenwatch-2.png

If the new Huawei Watch is a bit too rich for your blood, but you are still in the market for an Android Wear smartwatch, then next month Asus might have your solution. You will be able to buy the new Asus ZenWatch 2 for around $170 to $190 (depending on size and model). Here's a spec-list:
  • New metal crown
  • AMOLED screen
  • Snapdragon 400 processor
  • Magnetic charger cable
  • Dust-and water-resistance ratings of IP67
  • Three colors, silver, gunmetal and rose gold - including an array of rubber, leather and stainless steel straps
To be clear, here at HQ, we weren't impressed with the first Asus ZenWatch, but perhaps they have improved the device since our review. We included a video in the thread below to show off their "improved" design.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that Asus ZenWatch 2 video:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Finally some pricing. That's pretty sweet. If only that bezel were smaller.
I knew I should've trusted my instinct to comment on the bezel before you got here. Haha!

Great price though. These kinds of prices are what it's gonna take to get more people to adopt the tech and decide whether it's for them or not. Just like we all jumped on deals for G Watches for $100 as an entry into these watches, I'm sure that $300+ is keeping some people that are slightly interested away from finding out for sure.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Good price.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... the price is decent if it were a decent smartwatch. If it is not any better than the first ZenWatch, then that is too much money to pay for a turd. :confused:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
A) Why was the first a "turd"?

B) I would absolutely assume this is a big improvement over the 1st

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A) Why was the first a "turd"?

B) I would absolutely assume this is a big improvement over the 1st
When we had it in for preview back in November, I was just unimpressed. It was slow, buggy, crashed and many of its functions were non-functional. Also, after having dealt with Asus PC products as a Computer Repair Store Manager for many years, I am not fond of Asus. Their quality control has continuously diminished over the years, and their customer service and support is atrocious (based upon hundreds of RMAs I dealt with).

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
When we had it in for preview back in November, I was just unimpressed. It was slow, buggy, crashed and many of its functions were non-functional. Also, after having dealt with Asus PC products as a Computer Repair Store Manager for many years, I am not fond of Asus. Their quality control has continuously diminished over the years, and their customer service and support is atrocious (based upon hundreds of RMAs I dealt with).
I totally agree. I quit using ASUS motherboards to build my customer's systems years ago. Even my vendors have issues dealing with ASUS. For many years it was the only motherboard I would use.

Quite some time ago. ASUS, in their words, split up the company. What they really did was take less responsibility for manufacturing and turned themselves in more of a marketing/design firm. Shortly after that they lost me as a customer except for some video cards.

In spite of that I owned 2 of their Transformer Android tablets and was pleased with both. Thank goodness I didn't need any support.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm a pretty big Asus fanboi as far as fanboi's go. :D

My gaming Laptop, both my tablets, the video card in my wifes PC, my home router and many other parts. Twice I've dealt with support and other then a language barrier, it was fantastic.

This is why the ZW has always been front runner for me. I like the design of it but I was really hoping for a smaller bezel this time.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like it. If I wasn't using this for fitness, I'd be interested in the Zenwatch. Although I would gladly pay more for the Huwaei or LG Urbane.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I forgot about their routers. They do make some great ones.

When you are going through the quantity of motherboards I do you need to operate on the basis of pure numbers. For ASUS support the numbers aren't there. Gigabyte, on the other hand, will even do a cross ship on their current mainstream boards. But I haven't had a failure on the hundreds of them I've used.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Finally, we have some smartwatches that are sized more appropriately for a woman's wrist! It's sad that Apple was first though.
Anyway, I am leaning towards the Moto. I know it will have a lot more functionality which I would hope would lead to the price difference. I'll probably check out the Asus as well, since they have a woman's size also. I'll probably go with Moto because they have a wrap strap :-D Hey, I am a woman, after all ;-)

Sent from my Verizon G4