Apps on SD Inaccessible...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by discgolfdc, Jan 29, 2011.

1. discgolfdc

discgolfdc New Member

Greetings, all… I’m hoping that someone, somewhere has experienced the problem I’m about to mention and has found a way to put this baby to bed for good. Like I said, “hopeful.”

I have a Motorola Droid 1, rooted and running ChevyNo1 kernel 1.2GHz (maxed out at 1GHz) managed via SetCPU 2.10. No CM, no BB, no other fancy ROMs. Just stock ROM using LauncherPro Plus.

Everything has been humming along just fantastically when, at some point about 2-3 weeks ago, I discovered that I had lost virtually all of my Market links (go figure). In attempting to restore them, I started getting the damn “Storage Space Low” warning, so nothing else would reinstall. I decided to go ahead and do a complete wipe of the device, as I had all apps backed up using Titanium Backup (and I’m a little bothered by that, as well – some of us have experienced it as it hangs on restore). Anyway, the factory wipe proceeded.

I have backed up all of the original OTA signed “voles” Android updates (with the most recent one, FRG83D, mildly altered so as not to allow it to overwrite my SPRecovery, etc.), and so I flashed the ESD56 original Verizon SBF using RSDLite. I’ve done this before, and this time seemed fairly uneventful. Everything went fine. Once I restarted the phone, it started receiving the OTA updates (I hadn’t re-rooted just yet), and so I let it go all the way up to FRG22D. After that point, I declined the update so as to apply the altered one manually. I SBF’ed SPRecovery 0.99.3b, and then updated to FRG83D. I was working with a fresh, clean Droid with Android 2.2.1 and fresh root (SU 2.3.6.1).

For some God-unknown reason, though, once I got to this point, I have experienced a number of issues. I believe this list to be fairly exhaustive:

(1) Market will not install anything I ask it to.
    (2) Virtually none of the applications installed to SD are available to me. Those which have icons on my home screen are replaced with the generic green “Android” icon. Pressing any of these icons renders the message, "Could not launch the requested activity."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(3) All applications installed to SD are absent from the application drawer (note the presence of Adobe Reader in the "Manage applications" list, but its absence in the App Drawer).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(4) All applications that ARE installed to SD are present in the “Manage Applications” > On SD screen, but attempting to examine the details of any of them shows that they are all “Computing…” what amount of data should be displayed.

[​IMG]

(5) Market does the same thing (“Computing…” when you open it in the “Manage Applications” menu).

[​IMG]

(6) Processes like “Gallery” can clearly pick up photos from my SD card, so I’m not completely convinced that this is an inherent problem with the SD card, itself.

[​IMG]

(7) It is useless to try to mount the SD card through a data cable when the phone is operating. HOWEVER, when I recovery-boot the phone using SPRecovery, and I select “Enable USB Mass Storage,” my computer can see the SD card like there was nothing at all wrong. I find this curious.

These are the actions I have taken during this time (all to no avail, unless otherwise noted):
    (1) I have backed up my SD card and formatted it a number of times, restoring the contents afterward.
    (2) I have performed a full Nandroid backup of the phone from the last working configuration.
    (3) I have all my apps backed up with Market links in both Titanium Backup and MyBackup Pro.
    (4) Figuring something was screwed up with the installation of those apps on SD, I sat and MANUALLY reinstalled every single application by downloading it from Market, with the added hope that this would surely re-establish the Market link. You can imagine how long that took… I have over 200 apps, with approximately 40MB free in my internal memory.
    (4) I have REPLACED the SD card with another, new Class 2 16GB card.
    (5) I have removed and replaced the SD card out of the reader slot a number of times as well. Only once in a while does this result in my being able to access SD applications, but from that point, I’m terrified to turn my phone off, because I know that will result in loss of access to those apps.
    (6) I have force-stopped Market and have cleared its data and cache, as other sources have suggested as well. While it still shows my apps in internal memory as “Installed,” those installed to SD are not shown as installed, but “Free” or “Purchased.”
    (7) I have uninstalled updates to Market, thinking that there might be an issue with the new Market and a possible tie-in to the absent SD app thing, but this was to no avail. It does not seem to be an “old Market vs. new Market” problem.

I have read on other forums that this issue seems to trouble people who use LauncherPro, which I do, but those forums have suggested that stopping and re-starting LauncherPro generally causes the issue to resolve. I have had no such experience. I have stopped and re-started LauncherPro, only to find that the generic icons are still on my home screens and that the SD apps are still absent from the app drawer. I have then selected a different launcher as default (ADW, GO), and it’s the same story. This might be the first place that one might see that it might very well NOT be a LauncherPro bug.

None of this existed prior to that day when my Market links were all severed, and I cannot point to or think of anything I might have done to precipitate that.

I know that this post is somewhat lengthy and, perhaps, rambling at times, but I’m at wits end here. Much as I don’t want to throw my Droid into the heap where Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi found C-3PO and R2-D2, I’m thinking about it. I don’t think I’ve left anything out, here, and I really, really appreciate the help that those who have taken the time to read this and who respond with thoughtful suggestions (or, better yet, FIXES!!) are able to afford me.

Thanks again, all, in advance.

Jayson

P.S.: If there is anything else I can think of that I may have omitted here, I will be sure to update/amend as necessary, but I think I've included all I can for the time being. Responses may prompt the inclusion of additional details.
  2. zachdroid

zachdroid New Member

Have you tried going into the application section of settings doing a force stop of the market, wiping market data and then restarting the market?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. ndoren

ndoren New Member

Hey Discgolfdc...

I really don't have any answers for you, except to say that I FEEL your pain!

I have CONSTANTLY battled the "computing..." issue when dealing with my Droid. As you point out, when in this mode, none of the SD apps are available to the user. You and I have a LOT of similarities. I run rooted FRG83D, and LauncherPro, and I also have a LOT of apps (though not quite 200). Many times I have googled "Droid + Computing..." etc, and yours is the first post I've seen on it. I don't get the feeling it's a LauncherPro issue.

One thing I did notice... for me, it seems to be related to the number of apps I have on my SD card. I seem to be bordering on too many, because if I can manage to delete one or two, the "computing..." problem goes away. If add a few more back, that problem returns. If I sort by "size" in the manage apps window, some seem to actually show a value, and the "computing..." issue appears starting at some point farther down the app list. When I delete the first app that says "computing..." the problem goes away.

Again, not that I've answered your questions. But instead just to let you know I've had that headache, too. Neall
  4. discgolfdc

discgolfdc New Member

@Zach: Yes, I have... I guess it's possible, in the length of the post, to have missed that at action item #6. Thanks, though.

@ndoren: It's pain, alright. I do have a good number of apps on my SD, but it is nowhere near full. Not even a quarter full. In fact, most of my SD contains photos. I have close to 10GB free out of the 16 available. I'm somewhat suspicious because, like I mentioned, there were no problems prior to the sudden loss of Market links. It was all downhill (more like falling down a flight of stairs) from there.

I just know that other posts have touched on this issue, but I wanted to ensure that I put it all out there because some folks reported it as a problem with LauncherPro. I can confirm that this also happens with ADW, GO, and stock launcher. It's not a launcher-dependent bug.

I'm dumbfounded, and I've tried everything I can think of, short of dumping apps. I usually let it sit for a bit before doing anything with it, too...
  5. affinityhb

affinityhb New Member

Hi, my droid 1 has just done the same thing...
    I am not rooted, 1gb free on sd, photos and music on SD are accesible
    no mount notification when connecting thru USB...
    pior, i had been doing housecleaning of photos via the gallery app cleaned up almost few hundred mb.
    All stock, no launchersor anything....
    But i do have mobile lookout on sd.

**update i was just able to access card while connecting USB within 1 min or two of a restart (copying everyting off right now)
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. discgolfdc

discgolfdc New Member

Yeah, my apps are accessible for now. If I have to shut down, though, I'm sure it'll be forever before I can even think about accessing them again!!

This is not how a Droid should work!
  7. affinityhb

affinityhb New Member

Seems to come and go...
    I replaced my SD at Real Verizo store, upgraded to CLass 4,
    while convincing him to change it out apps appeared, but with new card, same problem..
    Cleared my call log, youmail,and Handscent to no avail...
  8. discgolfdc

discgolfdc New Member

Update: (Not that it solves anything, but...)

Occasionally, my phone is kind enough to slow down, take stock of things, and finally let me into the apps on my SD card. Again, occasionally. When it happens, I have to pray my phone doesn't shut down or NEED to be shut down for any reason, or I lose those apps once again, until the next time she lets me into the SD. Kinda feels like that Keanu Reeves movie, Speed, where if the bus' speed drops below 50 MPH, it blows up. So if this b!tch tells me to "Connect my charger," I damn well better have one nearby or be able to get to one soon.

Anyway, seems another thing that F's things up sometimes is UPDATING apps from Market! I tread gingerly around updates now, never hitting Update All because that would be too much for this princess to handle. I update one at a time. First one I updated today (71KB) sent all the Market apps back into "Computing..." and apps no longer DL from Market. Gonna see if she just needs time alone or if I moved too fast in our relationship by updating one stinkin' app.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  9. ddavidadams

ddavidadams New Member

I experienced something simular to this and after extensive searching I located some info (don't remember where now) that had to do with the number of apps Froyo could handle on the SD. I had about 200 apps at the time. I reinstalled everything minus a bunch of apps I really never used and the problem went away. After that I started using Titanium Backup to move my apps from internal to SD and it would limit the number of apps on the SD to 123 so I haven't had the problem since. I have recently been experimenting with apps2sdext and so far I have had great luck.
  10. link28469

link28469 New Member

I have the same probiem on both of my phones. I have to restart up to 30 times to get the probiem to go away until I restart. The phones are different' as are their android versions (2.2.1 and 2.2.2). I bought a new android to avoid this problem, but I have it anyway. Mine are LG, BTW.

I found a fix that works immediately, but only works once: create a folder names sd in the data folder? I forgot which folder, but I think it was that one… I think the problem may be related to startup apps (not in general, but rather, certain apps likely cause this)
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
Search tags for this page
all apps are inaccessible
android phone inaccessible sd card
inaccessible apps sd card

sd card full or inaccessible

sd card is full or inaccessible
sd card is full or inacessible
sd interna inaccesible
stock apps on adroid inaccessible