App Updates?

holdfast

Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried searching for this, but didnt find anything.

Is there a way to be told when your apps have an update? I see them in the market that there is an update and I have to manually update it myself. Do I have to manually search the market for all my apps to update them?

Thanks in advance.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
You should receive a notification on your phone if there is an update in the market. From my experience the update is not exactly real-time. Many times I have read about an update on here and downloaded it beforer getting a notification. If I forget and wait a day or so eventually the notification does show up. Of course this is only for apps downloaded from the market. If you backed up your apps with something like Astro and installed then from the SD card then you will never get notifications. I haven't tried it, but I hear Titanium backup does keep the market link. Hope this helps.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Android should check the Market about once a day for any updates to apps that you have downloaded from there. If there are any, it'll put a notification at the top notification bar. You can also manually check bu going to the Market, hitting the menu, and hitting Downloads; this will give you a list of all of your installed apps from the Market and will put any apps that have updates towards the top. Unfortunately one needs to go into each app and tell it to update and confirm that action.

Android doesn't automatically update Market installed apps, but there might be a 3rd party app for that. For me, manually updating apps is my preferred method since I may not want an update. Most developers update the description to reflect any bug fixes and new features. The comments are a good barometer to see if anything was broken in the update or a feature was removed. A couple of examples are one app update in my list just changes the icon to something atrocious and another update removes a key feature that would make the app unusable for my purposes.